Remember that song? "When it all comes down, I hope it doesn't land on you."
Tech savvy people would link up to the YouTube version about here, but I'll spare you that agony. By the time I linked that up my computer would decide it was done doing this for the day and I'd have one more day of no blogging.
But I digress. When this week began, I had an "engagement calendar" that was almost totally blank---with one brief notation about a book club meeting on Wednesday afternoon.
,
I had no company, no appointments, no expectations at all. In truth, I was a little bummed. Now suddenly I've had phone calls and a flurry of conflicting opportunities to see folks and go places. Mostly all at the same time.
I feel like the girl with two prom dates. So what gets chosen?
There was a long pause here-------while I gave it some serious thought. At this stage of my life, the most important relationships to nourish are family connections. Since I've already made time (and enjoyed) a reunion with nursing classmates, I'll pass on this, and spend some time with cousins who I hardly ever get to see. I think that will be the best use of my time.
My creative endeavor for the day is remaking a denim skirt which I found at the thrift shop (the tags were still on it) and it cost me $.50. I couldn't resist all that inexpensive fabric because the skirt is floor length and sort of flared, so there's lots of denim there. You can always use a nice denim skirt that fits right, I always say. I just need someone to help me hang the hem, once I put a new waistband on it.
Our book club read is Moloka'i by Alan Brennert, which has to do with the treatment of lepers and leprosy in Hawaii from the late 1800's through the mid 20th century. It sounded like it would be unrelentingly grim, but it really isn't. A great many innocent people were banished out of ignorance, but of course, that's nothing new. I expect there's plenty of that happening right now.
My "knitting team" is going to knit like fiends all through the Olympics to benefit various charities which are left to each knitter's own discretion. I'll use up ends and small yarn skeins and knit 8 inch squares for warm afghans for AIDS orphans in South Africa. I can handle the warmth of an 8 inch square----even if it's beastly hot here during our Olympic watching.
I pray that all that English care and security will result in a disaster-free Games. The world truly is small now, and I no longer watch just to root for the home team. There are so many amazing athletes who have worked so hard, it is enough to enjoy the contests.
And on a related subject, the Tigers have risen from the doldrums (at least temporarily) and are reason for enthusiasm once again. I'll enjoy it while I can. It gives me something to do until football season begins again.
Hang in there, and stay cool if you can!
One of my favorite aspects of the Olympics is that women's sports get nearly as much air time as men's. I'm fascinated by how diverse we are, from the twiggiest marathoners to the stoutest weight lifters. It never fails to fire me up to get off the couch. :)
ReplyDeleteYes, the diversity and the back stories of the athletes is always interesting too. When you've lived for a while, it's hard to only root for one team----we've got connections now in so many places!
DeleteI have a HS class reunion this weekend, and I'm not looking forward to it at all. I think I'll drag myself there just because it is right here in this town, but I'm kind of dreading it.
ReplyDeleteOh, go with a happy heart, expecting to have a ball. People will be so happy to see you and meet Fisher Hubby, you'll have a great time! Honestly! The more years go by past graduation, the more people grow up---and have interesting stories to tell you.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy your periodic book reviews. Keep 'em coming. Stay cool and watered!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I am thinking we need to meet just to plan ahead. We read quite a variety, but are a little light on classics. There are a great many I haven't read, in spite of reading like a fiend my whole (long) life.
Delete