It's always good to reach TGIF day, broom in hand, to gather the unruly bits together to dump upon your friends. Join up if you have stray thoughts to share which don't quite merit a full post of their own. (Though I have to say that I often post things that probably don't merit a full post.)
Thanks, Mrs. 4444 at Halfpastkissintime!
1. I completed some of my "assigned" work while Good Guy was listening to music and riding the bus in The Big City. I didn't get everything done, but I made a long list to keep myself on task.
2. I finished piecing this quilt top, to "use up scraps". This is a euphemism of sorts. Unless one has the self discipline to actually throw some bits away, you end up with more scraps---they're just smaller. But this is my result:
3. This is the weekend of a family tradition in which Good Guy and the Photographer bet on the outcome of the college football game between a selected Michigan university (this year Michigan State) and the Mighty Wisconsin Badgers. I have never actually seen any money change hands...but the pride factor is enormous.
4. The Tigers are down two games in the World Series to the Giants, after sweeping the Yankees. If you're a fan you know that. If you're not, you can skip over this. I am disappointed, but not devastated. (I'm not that much of a baseball fan.)
5. On Tuesday night, I got to be a part of an online book club, meeting on Skype! That was really neat and when the technology works right, it is amazing to be able to do that! (Thanks Auntie Pam!)
I bid you good day, and hope you have a great weekend. It looks like we will be freezing our tootsies off now that the weather has changed. But we had a gloomy week with lots of rain. Maybe our lakes will fill back up again. Hope, hope.
Cheerio!
I feel your pain on #4 ... my Cardinals were up 3-1 and scored only ONE run in the final 3 games. Unfortunately I'm a big baseball fan (well, more of a big Cardinals fan), so it was more than a bit disappointing (devastating, no, but certainly hugely disappointing).
ReplyDeleteI LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your quilt! I love triangles ... the more the merrier! And now that I have a good sewing machine, perhaps I will make more quilts with triangles! ;-)
Even in the games the Tigers won against the Yankees, they weren't scoring many runs. I can't say I'm too optimistic about our chances in the Series.
DeleteI like this quilt, too. Even though it has many weird fabrics, the more there are, the better they look. Strange, but true.
Visiting from Friday Fragments today...
ReplyDeleteI live in Yankee country but am not a fan. shhh. Don't tell my neighbors : ) I grew up outside of Philadelphia and have always rooted for the Phillies. I lived in Annapolis for ten years too and also claim the O's. I don't really care who wins the series but I did love the start of the game last night and that amazing Marine tossing out the first ball with Willie Mays at his side-it was awesome!
I missed the best part then. I didn't get home until a quarter after the hour, and the first inning was in progress. Pooh!
DeleteSweeping fragments - I like it
ReplyDeleteI hope the Tigers come back.
I didn't know about Skype and a book clubs. That approach would allow a more geographical spread out group share interests.
Your quilt is so pretty and I enjoy seeing how you worked the colors to create a vibrant flow of an assortment of scraps. I'm confident you should feel very pleased with your quilt top without fear of being called a snob. :-)
ReplyDeleteNo Tigers, tonight. I, too, was amazed by the young Marine who threw out the ball at the start of the game last evening. This young man gave so much for our freedom - both legs and an arm. My career naval veteran had tears in his eyes...as did I. We must not take our freedom for granted and must surely exercise our right to vote.
My ballot is ready to drop into the mail today. I'm sorry I missed the first throw of the game. It sounds like the best part.
DeleteI'm not a baseball fan either, but I do "pay attention" once the playoffs and World Series start. I was a bit surprised by how BADLY the Giants beat the Tigers the first game. Last night was close but still no cigar.
ReplyDeleteI ate a burger for lunch today at a local pub called "The World Series." I ONLY chose it 'cause the toppings sounded more YUMMY than those on the "Touchdown."
You gifted quilters have my undying admiration. I would sooner take a short beating than be forced to sit and sew anything.
This weekend is where GG and I part company. I am a NERVOUS WRECK hoping MY BADGERS beat that certain MI team.
Nervous W R E C K!!!
We are both (you and I) rooting for the Badgers, buddy! Only GG would pull for a Michigan team against a whole clan of Badger fans!
DeleteFor Skype is there some special contraption to buy? I never used it but have heard of it. I'm pulling for your Tigers just because I like animals and they haven't won the series in a long time.
ReplyDeleteHmmmm....my Skype was included on both my laptops, so I didn't have to do anything except choose a username and a password. In order to communicate with sound and picture, you need camera and mike which are included on my computer----but on my Toshiba the mike gave out, so I can't use Skype unless I type my message anyway.
DeleteOne of our people doesn't have a camera, but we can still hear what she says. It was really neat, and kind of amazing to me. (I find it a little unnerving to see myself while I'm talking, though.)
Now where is my list? I actually got a lot done today because I was having company for dinner. We call that motivation around here.
ReplyDeleteYour scrap quilt is beautiful! All the quilters I see are so creative and you are no exception.
We are supposed to get cool weather here by the first of the week, but I'll believe it when it happens. We've had very warm winters for the last few years and a little cold weather would actually be nice.
I have no opinions when it comes to sports much to my husband's dismay. He's a Florida Gator all the way.
Have a great weekend!
Yeah, motivation! I subscribe to the rule that says work expands to fill the time available to do it. I need to set deadlines for myself.
DeleteThanks for the quilt compliments. It turned out better than I was expecting. It isn't very large though. Nobody seems to have a double size bed anymore.
That quilt top is stunning! I can't believe it's "scraps." It's beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI am a huge baseball fan and as a Detroit native the Tigers are my AL team. I’ve also been a Reds fan since I was 6 or 7, so I was really hoping for a Tigers-Reds World Series this year. I am not giving up faith, but I always remember for fans of 28 teams the season is already over.
It is a kick to have the Tigers in the running. I can't figure out what happened to JV in the first game? I guess he isn't a machine, but man, what a meltdown.
ReplyDeleteLOVE the quilt....
ReplyDeleteLove from NC
Ah, making triangles (ad nauseum) seems to have paid off. Your quilt top is striking! I love it. Congrats!!! And here's a tip: throw out all those little tiny scraps....you'll never use them. End the guilt and toss 'em!
ReplyDeleteDon't know about the Tigers except that there was a PBS special on recently about some. :)
I was rooting for the Tigers because those lousy Giants beat up on my Phillies last year, not that I'm holding a grudge or anything. We are very disappointed sports fans in Philadelphia this year.
ReplyDeleteI love your quilt too. I've been saving material to make one for years, I'll get to it one day:)
I am a chronic list maker and a more chronic list loser...
If you take scraps of fabric and make quilts like that then you are an artist. Fabulous work!
ReplyDeleteAhhhh! Beautiful quilt top. I just can't seem to get my quilts going. Little arms grabbing at my machine making it too difficult. Someday soon...I hope!
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend :)
Thanks. I don't have a toddler, but I usually have a cat nearby who likes to watch the sewing machine, or the pressing, or needs a scratch. They have quite an affinity to fabric!
DeleteThe quilt turned out great. I wonder where all the old quilts are from my grandma... off to look.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful quilt. I looks great!
ReplyDeleteOur local college rivals played this weekend as well. The Kindergarten had a "war" on Friday where they came dressed in colors and graphed their favorite team!
That quilt looks amazing! I still need to finish up the cool but I started a long time ago.
ReplyDeleteI love your tree photo!
The Tigers loss was a win for us. Big Giants parade tomorrow. I love the quilt you made. It's truly wonderful.
ReplyDelete