Hi-ho, Friday Friends!
A belated Happy Thanksgiving to my pal, Mrs. 4444, who hosts this chance to bombard one another with trivia. You may face the music or duck and run, but you can link up here.
I am resistant to Christmas Shopping Manipulation, so commercial TV and radio stay off as much as possible. I was annoyed with marketers screwing around with Thanksgiving Day, thank you very much. We just can't possibly have enough greed early enough in the season to satisfy them. (OK, I'm done grumping.)
In that same spirit, I avoid "Black Friday" shopping as well, but I may browse around online for some bargains I don't have to fight for. Fighting crowds in stores is never my idea of sport.
We had a small, but congenial crowd for Thanksgiving, with Good Guy cooking a turkey breast and all the fixings, and Number One Daughter came to have dinner with us. Everything was very delicious. The cook outdid himself.
The Photographer was traveling to have dinner with the Iowa kids, and the Student reported that their turkey was cooking way too slowly in her Easy Bake Oven. She hoped they could stay awake long enough to eat on Thanksgiving Day. I should check on them.
It has been my habit to be the first of my friends to get her Christmas cards sent. Not as much in the past couple years. It may be a symptom of OC behavior, but I always preferred to think of it as being well organized. (Totally delusional!)
Our Skype book club got together on Tuesday night and once again we had picked a book that didn't appeal to everyone. But I guess one of the values of doing this is the reading of things you wouldn't necessarily pick for yourself. Next month we will have the author of our choice joining us, so I hope we all enjoy her book. I'll have to do a book post pretty soon. I have stacks of stuff to read, and lots of completed things to tell about.
If you are one of the millions of people who are affected by having family members who are dealing with Alzheimers Disease or dementia, and you haven't read Still Alice yet, do read it. It is heartbreaking, but so important to know!
I was looking at the Christmas card choices at Barnes and Noble the other day. Snowmen, cardinals, kittens, puppies, trees, sleighs, ......one card with a church on it...way in the background. A nativity scene? Nope, not that I could spot.
Well, friends, it isn't much but it's all I have time for. By the way, I have word that cell phone numbers will be made available to telemarketers soon. Look up the number to call to get your cell phone on the do not call list. If you don't want to pay to be annoyed. (If you're a telemarketer, I apologize--sort of.)
Have a great weekend! Watch for your Christmas card!
I think our cell phones are already registered - since they're our only phones (we ditched the land lines a couple of years ago).
ReplyDeleteI'm another one who avoids Black Friday at all costs. But when I was out at 8:00, the parking lot at the Best Buy didn't look too overwhelming. Still I prefer to shop online all year long - even more so at Christmas time. ;-)
I hear ya, I ordered some funny t-shirts and some quality Flylady products of Friday, so half my shopping is done. Good Guy is my toughest shopping job by far. He loves getting stuff, and he's a great gift buyer. But he doesn't need anything at all.
DeleteA Skype book club sounds very interesting. Maybe one day when I am not running around so much I will give that a go.
ReplyDeletePart of our time is spent juking around with Skype---and we don't know each other very well yet, but that's part of the fun, I think.
Delete
ReplyDeleteWe skyped with our Oldest daughter, my dad, and the grans - - - all in ONE skype stop yesterday. Does that count in PLACE of the skype book club?
Definitely! All the fun and no reading!
DeleteI don't do Black Friday either. I liked the FB button going around that said something about not shopping on Thanksgiving because that meant someone had to work as was away from their family.
ReplyDeleteI went to order Christmas cards, but my camera is broken and my phone camera doesn't take high quality photos, so it's back to the drawing board!
Bummer!
DeleteI left myself a note in my Christmas notebook not to buy any more cards this year. I have leftovers, after Christmas buys, and Habitat fundraisers so I think I'm set.
I've had my cell number on the do not call list for awhile now. It's pretty ridiculous that you can get those kind of calls on your5 cell phone when you have to pay for the minutes.
ReplyDeleteI know. That's just wrong, wrong, wrong!!!
DeleteIt gets harder and harder to find the Christ in Christmas; we have to put Him there ourselves, I guess, as the media and stores aren't going to do it for us, are they?...
ReplyDeleteKaren Zemeck reads a LOT--Check out her book blog if you need ideas...
Thanks for linking up, Ann. I hope you're having a great week :)