Tuesday, March 19, 2013

March Madness Commences

Hey there, all y'all,

We've been commuting to Green Bay to watch the UW-Green Bay women play their Horizon League basketball tournament which they won---sending them along to the NCAA women's tournament.

That is all great fun, of course.  We stayed over the weekend to save ourselves some gas money, investing instead in a hotel stay.  So on Saturday we had a day off from basketball and spent it having the most fun in the whole year (so far).

Our hotel has wonderful choices for breakfast for both the egg/sausage/waffle crowd and the yogurt and fruit crowd, and the coffee is great too.  So we started off the day with the "included" breakfast.

Then we traveled through the new snow to visit with Good Guy's aunt, who lives just a short hop north of where we stayed.  We got to visit at her apartment for an hour or two without her having to feed us, which is some kind of a family record.  She's a wonderful cook and shows her affection by feeding people.  Hmm---maybe she doesn't like us any more.

After that we had lunch at IHOP and went to the matinee where we saw Quartet which is a wonderful movie.  See it, if you're a music lover, or if you like old folks, or ARE old folks, or just love Maggie Smith.  Reason enough for me.

Then we visited with my son who, eventually had dinner (supper) with us, and then took us to a concert which featured the Salvation Army Brass Band and the Dudley Birder Chorale.  That was great too.  They played to a full house in a beautiful theater with great acoustics.

But WAIT!  There's still more.  We stopped at The Son's house again and his dear wife and sons had gotten back from their day's activities, so we got birthday cake and birthday hugs in for the Oldest Grandson who is fast closing in on adulthood.  Man, that's scary!  The boys had been in Chicago, with the school band, marching in the St. Patrick's Day parade.
,
What a fine day!  May you have a fine day, too.  (Thanks for not deserting me.)

9 comments:

  1. Congrats to Greeen Bay! Our local hoopsters made it as well, as did that "other school" in our state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little bit bummed that the Phoenix can be ranked #20 in the country, yet get seeded #11 in the tournament. But they're just laughing and saying it's only a number, so I'll relax about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't realize that it was time for "March Madness" already. (I know, I know, it's March.) Sounds like you had a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll say it was a nice weekend! The best one in a long while, full of seeing people we love, and good visiting. (We had some good eats, too.)

      Delete
  4. Our local Iowa Hawkeyes women made it into the NCAA too. They are hosting this weekend in Iowa City.Glad to see their season extended a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like Iowa will be well represented in post-season play! Your Hawkeyes are the "local hoopsters" that Shauna referred to in the first comment. She's working at the U, and lives in Keota. (I blew your cover, Shauna.)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like your 'family' visits were great.....food or not.

    Good to hear you two are keeping up with the basketball games. AND I like that YOU liked the movie with Maggie Smith. I've seen the promos for it and wondered if it was good. Of course, we have NO theater here, so it'll have to be NetFix's. But now that we have cable and HD and all that jazz (yes, we stepped into the 21st century), watching the telly is a better experience.

    Have a good FIRST DAY OF SPRING

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The acting is wonderful, the music is wonderful. I loved it all, and if it comes out on DVD I'll buy it, too. (And I never do that.)

      Delete
    2. Oh, good to know! I'll put it on my 'list'!!!
      I usually wind up watching Pixr movies since 'regular' ones make me crazy!

      xoxo

      Delete

Backtalk is welcome here.