Monday, July 7, 2014

The Big Bang Theory

I'll bet you could see this coming!

Around the Fourth of July there seem to be two kinds of people.  People who love fireworks (and their attendant noise) and people with animal companions.

Neither one of my female cats seem to pay the slightest attention to the banging and popping------and no, it isn't because there's so much of a din in our house all the time, either.  They just don't seem bothered by it.  On the other hand, our male cat who is quite brave under other circumstances, is very nervous when the fireworks noise begins.

We actually seemed to have less of it this year than other years.  Or maybe it just wasn't as close to our house.  But we actually saw some pretty displays quite near us.  I think they might have originated just across the river in Wisconsin.  Very pretty, and I didn't worry about them setting my roof on fire.

Anyway, it's mostly over now, and we can settle into our comfortable quiet neighborhood.
Our neighbors next door have been re-siding and replacing all their windows this summer and had a mishap when they went to remove the largest front picture window when it fell and broke in a spectacular way.  His daughter told me that all Roger said was, "Well, I guess that one won't go to ReStore."  Such a cool dude.

That was our other Big Bang of the week.

I'm off to spend a couple of days sewing and knitting with my sisters.  I can't wait to see what amazing stuff we accomplish this time.  (Muffled laughter.)  Beside chocolate consumption, I mean.

Oh, and one other thing.  I have a phone that isn't a Smart Phone, but seems to have some sort of artificial intelligence anyway.  While I was sitting in the dentist chair this morning, with my phone in my purse, my daughter got a phone call from me.  She texted me later asking if everything was okay with us, because she heard a bunch of laughter and what sounded like a party.  (Oh yeah, that's us at the dentist, all right!)  Isn't that the strangest thing?

Have a great week.  Leave me a comment.  (I'm a shameless beggar.)

8 comments:

  1. The fireworks don't seem to bother our cats but they sure scare our dog! She shakes and whines until they're over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Abby. My neighbor's last dog, Richie, was a wreck over every July 4th celebration. The whole family used to dread fireworks.

      Delete
  2. Our female cat doesn't mind loud noises. In fact, she loves power tools, and always comes over to see what's up when we're using them. The male is always under the bed during fireworks and thunderstorms. Your posts always make me want to learn to knit. I looked into lessons this spring, and the only one I could find locally would have me knit a lap rug. I'll try again this fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor kitty! About the knitting, I wish you could find some kind-hearted knitter who would spend an evening with you and you would be on your way. Could a yarn shop direct you to such a person? YouTube might even help you. I always do better with a personal demo, as opposed to trying to figure out the graphics in a how-to book. I've learned new techniques from YouTube. We need to work on getting you a teacher!

      Delete
  3. We had a dog who was terrified of storms and fireworks that he'd go to his hiding spot if we turned the lights on and off quickly. Have a great time with your sisters ... what fun it must be to have some stitchy time with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have fun, but I was Simon Legree and made them decide how much we would accomplish. You gotta have a goal, you know.

      Delete
  4. My cats are scared of their own shadow so I'm sure it was no different that night. I don't know for certain as I was at Hannah's (fuddone) enjoying the fireworks in her neighborhood. Chip didn't seem to mind them but then again he was in her arms the whole time. ;-)

    Sounds like something in your purse go pushed into your phone and made it dial. You've heard of butt dialing haven't you? :-) You should either knit or quilt a little pouch to put your phone in so these things don't happen in the future.

    How much chocolate was consumed or did you actually get some knitting and sewing done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I sewed all the binding on a small quilt for Jane. She cut and put together another baby quilt top, and we went shopping for fabric. Then they labelled and wrote notes to remind us of what we had in mind when we purchased it. One forgets, you know.

      Delete

Backtalk is welcome here.