Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Nearest Sea

This morning I changed my header because I found a picture from last summer that I fell in love with all over again.  If you've visited here in the past, you know I'm not a photographer.

I'd like to be a photographer, but even when I remember to take a camera along, I seldom remember to photograph anything.  But last fall, when we took a road trip around Lake Superior, I made a point of taking pictures each day.

This particular picture was taken of the beach at Grand Marais, Michigan. By the autumn, the tourists are gone, and things are pretty quiet once again.  In fact things were quiet on the shoreline almost everywhere we stopped, all the way around the Lake.

I should explain that I'm a big fan of Lake Superior.  After I left Great Lakes country to live in Virginia in the mountains (briefly), I was so lonesome for lakes that I could taste it.  One Sunday we skipped church to take a ride to "a lake".  It turned out to be a dammed up river reservoir and it was a grey nasty day, but I was touched that my husband made the effort.

When we left Virginia we were within a ten minute walk of Lake Michigan, which is a very satisfactory substitute for Lake Superior.  If we could have deleted the city of Chicago, it would have been darn near perfect.

Water, sand, and me.  Just right.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I can see how it would be that way for you, too. Some people miss the mountains that way, I think.

      Delete

Backtalk is welcome here.