Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Power of a Deadline

This morning, after checking on Mr. Murphy's Laws, and Mr. Peters' Principles, I can give correct attribution to this wise saying. 

Parkinson's Law----"Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion."

This is particularly important for a retired person to remember.  Unless I set a deadline for the completion of a project it is likely to languish for a very long time.  Starting new projects is an adventure, but slogging through until the end......well, you know how that goes!

All that being said, I have set deadlines for the completion of a couple of quilting projects.  One is a simple top to be sent off to Iowa by the 15th of the month, where my niece will put the layers together and have a machine quilter finish it.  And the other is a Christmas present, commissioned by one of my kids to give as a gift.  That goes out on the 25th.  I'll keep you posted, whether you care about it or not.  I have to be accountable to someone!

Now that it is cooler, I can think about doing something related to holding a warm quilt on my lap.  This wasn't a summer for doing that sort of thing!  Even knitting wasn't that compelling, unless it was a small project that didn't make me sweat.

How many dishcloths can one person use, I ask you!!!!  I'm just kidding.  I read instead.  Readin is not only Fun-damental.  It's Cool.  Especially in August.

Have a great Tuesday, all you Procrastinaters!

3 comments:

  1. deadlines....yes I need them. I never use to procrastinate...never..now. eh?!
    I should have a deadline for getting off the computer. That might help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I like projects and I have the most success for completing them successfully when I set a goal deadline for myself.
    I think it's great that you quilt! I wish I could do that; I think it's a wonderful ability and hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, don't I know it! Just substitute any project I've been asked to do or want to do into your post and it could have been me you were talking about. Amazing isn't it.

    Would you like me to write it down on my calendar? :) I hope you get them done before your deadline!

    Kristin - The Goat

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.