Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hand in Your Book Reports!

OK people. Listen up!

I'm just doing my impression of the drill instructor therapist on the Geico ads. That's the kind of therapist I'd be, probably.

I'm here today to tell you that even though listening to books is better than nothing, I still prefer reading a book. In the first place, it's faster. Even if I don't speed read, but take my leisurely time, even re-reading things I especially enjoy, it's faster than listening to another person read.

Secondly, I don't visualize the setting of the book as well as when I READ descriptions, as opposed to hearing descriptions. So my imagination isn't in play as much while hearing the book. I miss that aspect. My imagination can always use a good work-out.

On the other hand, I quite enjoyed hearing Janet Evanovich's books read. Lorelei King (if I remember correctly) is the person who reads, and she can do "voices" wonderfully well. These books are populated with characters who are "real characters" and she can do dialects, and accents, and expressions that make me laugh out loud! I don't listen to these books for the clever plotting, but they are peopled by the funniest folks!

Our book group read Fanny Flagg's Can't Wait to Get to Heaven and we all enjoyed it very much. I had read it before and enjoyed the re-reading. Fannie writes about people we know and like, even with their eccentricities, and about people we'd like to know, because they are so kind, good, and odd. She has a real talent for finding names that tickle the funny bone, too. The heroine of this book is named Elner Schimfissle. I don't hear that name every day!

On the stack to read are two Anne Tyler books, a book about power of attorney, a book about bookbinding, Laura Bush's book, a gardening book, and Barbara Kingsolver's The Lacuna.

I have given myself a deadline for doing a tedious task of giving my survivors some guidance about where to find my important papers, and other business matters. These are decisions I'm trying to avoid by playing card games on the computer. I'll feel happier when I stop procrastinating, I suppose. (That's why I have the simplified Power of Attorney book out of the library.)

Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. Thankfully, today is the Day of Rest. LOL So I'm baking bread instead.

2 comments:

  1. i want a kindle or nook maybe....but the truth is I wouldn't like it because I like to feel the paper and underline. I also don't read for enjoyment but more for research. So I guess I want a Kindle because everyone else has one.
    I also want to bake bread today but I am out of yeast. Alas, I do have bengeits mix from cafe du mond! mmmmm wish I had a little spring weather to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For two of the years that I taught at Lakeview I drove nearly an hour one way to school. I LOVED having books to listen to on the drive. LOVED it.

    My kids whined, but I noticed they also listened!

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.