Saturday, February 5, 2011

Pondering "Influence"

Yesterday word reached me of Angie's death and I was surprised that I was so shaken by learning of it.
She and I were online friends only, but I felt that she was a good friend of mine even though we had never met in person. This led me to think about the influence we can have on others through the writing and sharing, and the encouragement we give one another.
Fairly recently, I got an e-mail from an old friend of GoodGuy's, an accomplished and educated man. He told me that he went on to get more education because of the encouragement he got from my husband when they were young, hanging out in California together.
My dad, an MS patient, died very young. (At this stage of my life, 57 is young.) Yet at his visitation, I was amazed----and delighted that so many young adults came to offer comfort, because he had touched many lives in support groups.
It all reminds me of this. "Wherever you go, there you are!" Whether you are touching people in cyberspace, or in line at the grocery store, be your best self. For your own sake, and for the sake of those who respect you. (And laugh. It's good exercise.)

Thanks for everything, Angie. I'll miss you like crazy.

4 comments:

  1. Oh sweetie, I am so sorry for your loss! Yes, this is one thing I was totally blown away by when I started bloggin'. It was just suppose to be an outlet for this Ozark Farm Chick's writing but oh baby, it became so much more. I met people, felt their pain, prayed for their loved ones and began to care about their lives. Ya could of blown me plumb off the haywagon!!!

    Bloggin' has become such a wonderful outreach to others that I just didn't see comin'!!!

    I hopped over here from sweet Mrs. 4444's and am so glad I did.

    God bless ya from the snow packed hills and hollers of the Missouri Ponderosa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann I am sorry for the loss of your friend. I didn't know Angie but from those of you who have written about her she was a good friend. I really like what you are saying here. We never really know the people we touch sometimes. Be true to yourself. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great sentiment, great reminder that our actions are so important and speak so loudly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know her, but I did see her posts here and at Keetha's place. I love the way blogging has created a brand new family for me and for others. It also creates loss when a family member passes on. I'm so sorry you have lost a friend.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.