Monday, January 30, 2012

Real Life Returns



Back from California, land of shirt sleeves, swimming pools, and striding along without worrying about slipping on ice or snow. It was below zero during the night here, but it's soared up to 6 degrees, F. and it's spitting snow.

So we've returned to bird watching, and snow sweeping for fun and frolic. It is amazing to me that even a short break can help me appreciate the upside of winter, though.

On Friday, we took a drive through Joshua Tree National Park. Vast, dry, and full of curious flora which were new to us. Midwesterners don't see a whole lot of high desert terrain (yet). But we were fascinated by these puffy plants which appeared to be so touchable---from the safety of the car. They proved to be spiky in the extreme when we got to see them up close.

It is amazing how plants and critters adapt to life in such an arid place, though.

At the western end of the valley there is a vast windmill installation which provides power for thousands of homes (or so we were told on the tramway ride), and we really noticed the wind the most during our takeoff when we left Palm Springs. Oh, and on the mountain tops. Once on the tramway when we got outdoors to take pictures, and at a rest stop on the way to the State Park. Very, very windy, indeed!

Well, my post about being home sort of veered back to California, didn't it? Perhaps that's because I had pictures I'd never posted.

I have a long list of February projects to begin on Wednesday. Perhaps there's enough there to share on this blog. Time will tell.

Happy Monday, all!


4 comments:

  1. Welcome back home. I've missed you but knew you were basking in the warmth of CA and seeing wonderous things. Including those plants! YEOW. Did you knit much on your trip?
    I'm sure the birds of the UP are glad you're home as well as your cats! And me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. California sounds great! Welcome back to the cold. I am really happy though with our winter in Ohio so far--today it's supposed to go up to 55 degrees! YEA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize how silly this is going to sound but nonetheless it's true - I'm glad you're home, it was lonely while you were gone!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aThe desert areas of NM, AZ, and Cali are truly spectacular in their own right. Borego Springs State Park in way, So. Cali is beautiful...Would I live in the desert, NO...ok, sometimes here in NC I live in the desert!!! You sound like you had a wonderful trip..Below zero...BRR no more of that for my old bones...
    Love from NC

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.