Pffft! As if! What a faker!
On New Year's Eve I struggled to stay awake long enough to watch the New Year arrive on the east coast, and then headed for bed. So far, the new year has always arrived whether I paid attention or not, and once again my attendance wasn't important.
I usually have quite a feeling of new beginnings when I get to start a new journal, crank up the new calendars, etc. but this year I'm using the same daily journal as I used in December, and all the calendars have been up for a while. Good Guy bought a couple calendars to go with our gifts---which means we could probably paper the living room with new calendars.
We aren't having extreme problems staying current with the date, year, or appointments so I don't quite understand the calendar fixation----but it seems harmless enough. He doesn't drink, gamble, or carouse so I count my blessings.
I untrimmed the tree this morning and spent more time scrubbing pitch off my hands than taking decorations down. What a mess. Of course, it isn't outdoors yet, and the endless needle vacuuming hasn't begun. That seems to be an ongoing project until August or so, no matter how much time I spend today trying to get every single needle found.
GG ended up with a book tally of 103 books, and I ended up with 84. Even that is a reach, since a few of them were books full of sweater patterns or techniques of which I read only half. Eighty might be more accurate. But in this new year, I've already read two books from my Nook----which I requested for Christmas.
It has its charms, but at this point I can't say I prefer it to holding an old-fashioned book. Since I'm more of a book reader than a book buyer, I downloaded a book from the digital library last week. (It's no wonder it was available. It is awful, and I've only read one chapter. It sent me running for directions about how to delete books from my Nook. Not only that, but it is horrible for over 400 pages. I'm too old to waste that much time.) In the Nook's favor, a friend pointed out the advantage of being able to enlarge the font size at will. That is a good thing!
I have to figure out how to keep track of my completed knitting projects on a sidebar here. Don't laugh, somebody might care about knitting.
And to wind out with some sad news, the mighty Badgers lost out to the Mighty Ducks yesterday in the Rose Bowl. Only Sparty came out with a win for the Big Ten so far, and I'm ambivalent about the Michigan---Virginia Tech game. Good Guy has ties to the U of M, but my daughter is working on her PhD at Virginia Tech. Maybe I'll try for a neutral stance. (Not a great skill of mine, by the way.)
Have a nice Tuesday.
That's sad you picked a bad book to start with on your Nook. My first one on my Kindle was very good--"These Things Hidden" by Heather Gudenkauf, and pretty short.
ReplyDeleteI'm teaming up with you and supporting KIVA through comments this month too on my blogs.
My first book this year was The Grace to Race...the story of an 80-year-old nun who does Ironman triathlons. It's interesting, quick, and really got me thinking about the limits we put on ourselves. I enjoyed it. The second book was Heaven is For Real, which purports to be a little boy's account of seeing heaven in a near-death experience. It's sweet and thought-provoking but I dread that it's going to be exposed as a hoax. I've gotten cynical in my old age. I'd recommend it, but with that caveat.
ReplyDeleteThe Wolverine pulled out the win, as I'm sure you know by now!
ReplyDeleteI thought about you a dozen times (or so) at the library yesterday for that is about how many knitting books were returned all at once. I have a feeling some knitter or other ordered a bunch on interlibrary loan and finished them all at the same time. Maybe she was looking for some specific pattern or other.
I accidentally stayed up past midnight on New Year's. Wishing you a wonderful year.
ReplyDeleteI had to laugh at your comment about the horrible book that no wonder it was on the digital library because it was free!!! I have had a couple of those myself and I agree---I am way past the point of wasting time reading things that don't reach me!!! I would love to see what you are reading!! Along with your list of knitting projects why don't you add a sidebar of books?? I started that last year on my blog and it has helped me keep track which I never did before! In WordPress you just add a page but not sure how you do it in blogspot. I am sure you can figure that out! I would love to see what you are working on AND reading!!! Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteBut wait---I just noticed you have a Best Reads list so nix that last suggestion!!!! I am going to check those out!!! :-)
ReplyDelete