Thursday, June 7, 2012

Friday Fragments

Well, here we are again on a Friday, gathering together our bits and scraps that are too minimal to build a real post about, but for some reason we need to mention them.

Our hostess is the fabulous Mrs. 4444 of Half Past Kissin Time.   If you would like to link up, and you have fragments, you are welcome, too.

1.  Do you recall the days when baseball announcers on TV used to "call the action" the way the radio announcers used to.  Of course, there was no need to do that since you could watch the game.  Now they explain the pitches, and strategy.  They try to make a really simple game sound like rocket science.

2.  I am unhappy Detroit Tiger fan.  They are truly hapless this year.  Even the "strong pitching" is lame.

3.  Graduation season again, which reminds me of my son's speech the year he was the head cheese, and was responsible for a speech.  He saluted the kids who would stay in town and keep the town going so there would be someplace to come home to, for the kids that were leaving for college, or work in the city, or the military.  I thought that was pretty unique.

4.  Ray Bradbury is no longer among us.  I salute him: for he was still writing beautifully at the age of 91!  What a wonder!   RIP, Ray.

5.  Comment count managed to make it to 100 as of today.  Very disappointing.

6.  Daughter #2 will be back for a visit next week.  I'm not sure that her family and friends are even the main reason for her trip, since her bro bought a ticket for her to attend next Friday's Barry Manilow concert.  (She's been a devoted fan since she became aware of pop music.)

She once commented that all the music on her I-pod was the music played in parks to discourage people from congregating there.  Funny.

 7.  I think I must be closing in on my second blogging anniversary.  I'll have to go back and look.  sigh Work, work, work.

I look forward to reading your fragments!  If you can write once school is out!

18 comments:

  1. It's funny how I can't wait for the end of the school year and for others, it means the opposite. Fortunately, though, I think most moms like it :)

    Happy Blogiversary!

    Mom has always been a baseball fan. I remember watching the Brewer games on TV with her. Sadly, I can relate to your losing season. Good thing they come in second to the Packers for me :)

    Thanks for linking up, friend. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Manilow in concert a few years ago. Better than I had expected. I hope your daughter enjoys the show. He's in good shape for his age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure that Barry could get up there and drone the phone book, singing only one note, and she'd be enraptured. He does put on a pretty energetic concert, I'm told. I'm sure she'll love it!

      Delete
  3. Check that blogging anniversary. It's always good to celebrate something. I think I might be having my 4th anniversary in Feb. 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least in the central - no team is really out of it. The Tigers could come on with a strong 2nd half. Try being in the AL East where even a good team like the Jays could easily finish last in the division.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we wouldn't be so disappointed if we didn't have such high expectations after last year! Yeah, the AL East is a real dogfight!

      Delete
  5. My brother Brandon was in danger of being salutatorian, which meant he'd have to give a speech at graduation. What's a shy farm boy to do? Obvious: He slacked off on his homework and intentionally tanked his grades, dropping himself to 3rd in the class. Mom was furious. But what he hadn't considered is that there are traditionally THREE speakers...the class president also gives a speech at our school. And Brandon's class president happened to also be the valedictorian. To round out the speaker list, the principal looked a little further down the class standings...to my poor little bro. But he rallied himself and put together an excellent speech. He opened by saying "I'm about as nervous as a hog in a bacon factory." I thought my Granddad would die laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is funny! David was the valedictorian, but he refused induction into the Honor society, telling his teachers that he didn't care to be in "the country club for kids". Mr. Social Climber. (Where did he get that stuff??)

      Delete
  6. Happy blogiversary - I was the Valedictorian at 6th grade graduation but fortunately graduated early from high school and didn't need to repeat my performance...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back in the day I could have done the TV play by play, now... I laugh at some of the things they come up with. What used to be a "hard hitting slugger" is "he has good 'bat-speed.'" And there's a formula for figuring out bat-speed. Who comes up with this stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I agree about the Tiger-frustration. We had World Series tickets last year; it was going to be instead of vacation. I was all set to save the refund for this year. Vacation starts night. --sigh--

      My dream World Series is the Tigers and Reds...this weekend's garbage is a series that should be played in OCTOBER. (Still hate Interlesgue Play.)

      Delete
  8. You are not alone in the disappointed Tiger fan category.
    Wayne W. Smith, I like your optimism regarding the 2nd half of the season. We can say that we've had a look at several players from Toledo...

    Happy blog anniversary! (I promise not to sing...couldn't carry a tune in a basket....but could dust a piano) I look forward to your postings and praise my good fortune to know you, dear friend. Thanks for being YOU. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to a Barry Manilow concert many years ago. I totally loved it.

    Congrats on your Blogoversary

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I'm watching my sports I WISH the announcers would just call the plays and STOP with their philosophizing on who's going to win and why. If it gets TOO BAD (during College FB especially) I simply mute them, otherwise they have my insides boiling up and over and I'm pretty sure the neighbors don't want to hear me if and when I explode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that---all of it. I also am annoyed when baseball guys talk about Sammy Sosa or Mark McGuire as though they lived in the Dark Ages. It just shows me how young and history-challenged they are.

      Delete
  11. Of course baseball is my favorite sport to watch...either on TV or in person. And I must say, I LOVE your closer, Jose Valverde. He started out as a D'Back...they traded him to Astros [we lived in AZ when he was for the D'Backs and moved to TX when he was then traded to Astros.] Now, you have him. I just love watching his enthusiasm for his closing.

    I LOVE Barry Mannilow.

    A CLEAN BREAK is my post today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We usually just watch the game without the sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An extremely simple and effective solution! Leave it to you to solve my vexing problem.

      Delete

Backtalk is welcome here.