Hi-ho, people. I'm linking to Friday Fragments at Half Past Kissin' Time---not because I have such fascinating stuff to share, but I miss you when I'm gone.
The holiday weekend found us living the High Life on Mackinac Island, where Saturday was beautiful, Sunday was blustery and rainy, and Monday was a bit better than Sunday.
I felt for the wedding parties who were headquartered at the Grand Hotel, trying to get to the church in horse drawn carriages in all their beautiful finery. It must have been quite an interesting day.
Good Guy has planted tomatoes and I have flower urns filled----and we have had "frost advisories" past two nights. It isn't that unusual here for that to happen, so I'm not that amazed or disgruntled, but I am relieved that it is 44 degrees. I will say that. (My peas and cucumbers are up.)
I think the blackbird nestlings must be learning to fly, because I got screeched at, loud and long, when I went out to the garage yesterday morning. I can't figure out where they have decided to nest this year. For years there were blackbirds nesting in the eaves of the garage across the alley. But they repaired the soffit and the birds can't access their favorite place. That had them squawking for a few days as well.
One year we had mourning doves nesting on top of our garage door opener mechanism in the garage. They stayed there, but I worried about the babies flying out of that nest and onto the cement. We had to have the car washed quite often, too. Heh.
The UP's wildfires continue to burn, and the paper said last night that there may be smoldering spots that continue all summer. Bummer!! We are not near the affected area, but we were relieved to get some measurable rainfall over the weekend. We need rain badly after a winter of little snow.
Well, it isn't much, but I'm looking forward to reading what the other Fragmenters have found to contribute. Have a great weekend and I hope June is bustin' out all over where you are too.
Hope everything turns out okay with those wildfires.
ReplyDeleteWe had a family of Cardinals (my favorite!) living in a tree outside my bedroom window this spring and now we have Brown Thrashers in the holly tree beside the same window. They actually chased a black snake off into the woods on Saturday. Aggressive little birds when it comes to defending their nest! They fuss at me every time I get near it.
ReplyDeleteHappy Friday! :)
I wish I could say that it's so nice having all this hot weather but that would mean that it's nice to have after a cold winter and cool spring. Neither happened here this year. So we just continue with the heat and humidity. But the garden is LOVING it! The birds are going nuts at the feeders too and I love sitting at my desk watching them. Of course, when I do that, nothing else gets done. Oh well...LOL
ReplyDeleteI'm enjoying the cooler spell after that fast heat wave. You must really like birds to allow them to nest above your car in the garage. I would have moved the nest. I have fond memories of Mackinac Island.
ReplyDeleteLast summer a robin nested in the light fixture on our back patio, but something "robbed" the nest when the nestlings were beginning to peep over the top edge of the nest.
ReplyDeleteI was sad - - - I was hoping we'd get to "raise" those little things!
Oh I remember my wedding weekend... we spent our wedding evening at a beautiful bed and breakfast and the next morning and all that day it POURED. I felt for people getting married on the grounds...it had been gorgeous for me the day before!
ReplyDeleteI think some birds made a nest in our front gutter--it seems we have more birdies than usual visiting our front porch which makes our cats very happy.
ReplyDeleteLove Mackinac Island. Been there twice but not in the Grand Hotel - yet. The boat rides out and back are a blast too, rooster tails and all. Its a unique place in the world.
ReplyDelete