Saturday, August 25, 2012

We Love Words

The Limelighters (remember them?) had a line......"In answer to a diminishing number of requests..." which always cracked me up.

If you visit here often you know that I'd rather use words than pictures, and that photography isn't a skill of mine, but since you clamored so politely, I'll share such as I have.  This is the Words Quilt.

The largest view:

With the borders this puppy measures 92"x 92".  Winters are long here and our bedroom is about 62 degrees.  The basic pattern I used, for those who do this sort of thing and keep track, was called Olde Hickory designed by Pam Puyleart.

(Always give credit where credit is due.)  I needed something I could adapt to use the large funny cartoon pieces that I wanted to showcase.

This would have gone quickly if I had just followed Pam's excellent directions, but I needed to work in the word panels, so that caused some delays and extra fiddling.

There are fabrics with coffee words, and the language of flowers, quilting words, and these animal cartoons and sayings.  My favorite is a quotation from Groucho Marx, who said, "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."   I can't get this layout to do what I want it to do, so I will leave it at that.  (Knitting pictures later----by next week.)

Have a great weekend!

13 comments:

  1. I love it! It makes me wish I knew how to quilt. DD3 taught herself how to quilt so I'll share this with her and maybe I'll get lucky. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is hope,Pam. My mom's daughters taught her to quilt.

      Delete
  2. Thanks! I wish I could think about hand quilting it, but it's so big, and I'm so old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my WORD U.P. Annie!!! That is awesome.

    Though I LOVE it, I will NOT wish to learn to quilt as did Pam.

    I already know I HATE to sew and I fully realize my limitations.

    Hand quilting is over-rated. Does that make you feel better?

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I really agreed with you, that hand quilting is over-rated, I'd feel better, but I love hand quilted stuff. I think this one will do fine being machine quilted, though, and I may even attempt it myself.

      Delete
  4. It's wonderful. I wondered if you had finished it yet.
    The Groucho quote is one of my favorites, too. You have great taste!

    The layout of your WORD quilt is really nice....nothing is too crowded, the lighter colors let the block 'pop', and your words are what you love. It's a true treasure.

    Are you hand quilting it? If so, let me know as I have a quilt that I hand appliqued in 2000 and then started hand quilting it. I still haven't finished it and it's only 1/3 of the way done. I need some inspiration to get back into it this winter, so I'll stop by and we can quilt together. Sound like a plan?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about if we both quilt on YOUR quilt instead? I would so enjoy it, if we were close enough to get together and do that!

      Delete
  5. Great quilt--I can tell that took A LOT of work. No quilting for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quilting isn't for everybody, that's for sure. And that's a good thing---unless you happen to own a fabric store, and then you wish everybody quilted.

      Fabric store owners are happy that people have stuff machine quilted now, because quilters can go ahead and make more quilt tops if they don't spend years on the quilting part of quilt making.

      Delete
    2. Ok, come on over and we'll quilt this winter. And that could be anytime now....it was DARK at 7:15pm tonight! waaaaaaaaaaaaa

      Worked on 'the fence' for 7 hours today.

      Delete
  6. It's glorious! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 92x92 is huge! Do people put these large quilts on big beds or do they typically hang them? That project must have taken hundreds of hours if not thousands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is made for our queen sized bed. I wanted a bedspread sized quilt. Maybe I should have the floor reinforced....

      Delete

Backtalk is welcome here.