Saturday, January 12, 2013

Date Night

I'm laughing, because I haven't worried about having a date on Saturday night for a mighty long time.  But I almost put something up there about it being Sunday night, since the day has been full of football analysis and hype because of the playoff games this weekend.

At the moment we are watching the Broncos play the Ravens, and are nervous about the Packer/Forty-Niner game to follow.  I'd like to write this now to take my mind off being worried.

I had a period of being physically disabled this week when my hearing was impaired.  I suspect I did it to myself by trying to flush wax out of my ear.  I kept hoping for improvement, and for a time it was so peaceful hearing with only one ear I didn't go for intervention. But I gave up on Friday and had my doctor irrigate my ear canal and I now hear better than ever.  (That evaluation depends on who you talk to about my hearing.  Good Guy thinks I'm deluded about my "good" hearing.)  Well, he'd surely know about selective hearing.  Much like other fine husbands (and wives).



This isn't much to look at, but it is a portion of what will be a 40" strip; a part of a lap robe project on Ravelry called Project 40.  I love the sunny yellow color, a perfect cheery color to work with in January.  I have another more interesting project that I'm knitting as well, but since it's a gift for someone who could conceivably see it here, you'll just have to take my word for it until the end of the month.

Like many of you we have had a very mild January, and what snow we had has been slowly melting away.  Our forecast for this week is for more seasonable (frigid) weather.  That's okay with me, we are getting closer and closer to spring and the days are getting longer.  I don't mind the cold as much as I mind the gloom.  If I get to order my weather, I'll opt for sunny, cold weather.

I probably told you that I have chosen a watchword for this year and it is Order.  To that end, I am getting rid of 100 things in January.  I have 53 more items to go.  It doesn't matter if they are donated, gifted, or thrown away, just so they are off the property.  (And a full bag of paper recycling counts as one item---in case you are curious.)

We recycle lots of paper here as newspaper and magazine readers, we pass paper along pretty often.

So, I will leave you to enjoy the rest of your weekend and maybe even all of next week.  Life is lazy and quiet here in January, and there's not much news to share with you.

Cheers!

8 comments:

  1. Not a good football weekend for a Packer or Denver fan, and right now at half it looks like not such a great day to be a Seahawks fan either!

    I worked at the library on Friday, something I NEVER do, so it felt like Saturday to me and threw my weekend day awareness off too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate getting all turned around with my days like that. But it's a danger with the "truly retired" whose days may be very alike.

      Holiday weekends make that happen too, especially if our trash pick-up gets delayed. (Whose memory is shaky???)

      Delete
  2. Poor Broncos....we watched the game yesterday as they gave the Ravens the winning edge. And Denver pays Payton HOW much? That was probably snarky......

    I like cold and sunny, too. Although we've had a bout of -14 around here lately. It never got over 10 today. And the sun is now covered by snow clouds which seem NOT to be dumping any! We're getting gyped!

    Off to AZ and it's not super warm there (which is fine). It can stay in the 50's for moi, but the girls down there are all mad because it's supposed to be in the 60's!

    I love the Ravelry piece you're making. Looks easy enough to do and the color is gorgeous! So happy....like sun!

    We noticed last night that it was still light outside last night at 5:15. Love that!!!

    Happy week and I'll be in and out as we girls cause trouble and chaos in the southwest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are having a ball in AZ! Soak up a little vitamin D for me. I can only expose about two square inches of skin to the sunlight. +7 degrees right now.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE your word choice! I long for order, but chaos tends to rule. I should try to ditch 100 things with you. Unfortunately many of the things that need to go belong to my children and they get a little cranky about my decluttering efforts.

    Your yellow / gold strip is wonderful!! Keep up the good work.

    Love you,
    pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never fear, you will be able to find 100 things of your own that you don't love and/or use. I have a box in the basement labeled Marc/Adam that hasn't been touched for 10 years at least but I don't dare dispose of it.

      Also there's a full drawer of old maps in the basement never to be seen again that are off limits to me. (I am shaking my head!)

      Delete
  4. Your Packer sunny yellow/gold is great for January. :D I'm disappointed in the outcome of the game Saturday evening, but still love The Pack! We also had a date Saturday -- our 12th wedding anniversary.

    My word for 2013 is Declutter and my goal is to get rid of 100 bags of things during the year. As of today, I am up to 7 bags for the month. I'll "borrow" your idea about recycling paper as I hadn't even thought of that. I had been donating to our local thrift shops... One 50 lb.dog food bag filled with crushed milk jugs should also count. GAD is now on the docket for tomorrow.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. News junkies never seem to have enough newspapers. It's so depressing to listen to news all day it's a wonder he's such a cheerful fellow.

      I think the Pack needs to rethink the defensive coordinator job myself. They didn't have an answer for the mobile 49er quarterback.

      Now I feel like those smart alecky kids in the State Farm ad. See you tomorrow at quilting.

      Delete

Backtalk is welcome here.