Tonight I read about some book reading challenges and I thought I'd sign up. But when I read the guidelines, I had to find a dozen books that had been lying about unread for more than a year and that I ought to get to this year.
I'm thinking to myself, "No problem".....and grab my notebook and pen and crawl around to get at the bottom shelf of the bookcase behind the Christmas tree.
"What are you doing?" I hear from the other room.
"I'm looking for books that need to be read."
"Huh?
Try as I might I could only find four books I thought might qualify and I'll get at those pretty soon.
They are: The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sudaresan, Thirteen Senses by Victor Villasensor, A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving, and The Giant's House by Elizabeth McCracken.
In the meantime I got books from the library today and I'm going to read PD James first. Maybe.
My tree is still beautiful and it's still up. No needles are falling---and yes, it is truly a tree that grew in a field at some point. It didn't grow up in a factory. Maybe it will stay up until Epiphany this year.
I will burn down all the advent candles and count my blessings in this lovely new year.
I hope you are counting blessings too. Happy New Year!
Our tree hadn't lost too many needles, but it was starting to get a tad on the droopy side. With traveling last weekend and next week (for 2 weeks), I decided to go ahead and take it down right after Christmas. I love a real tree, but I get dizzy stringing and unstringing lights ... makes getting a pre-lit tree pretty tempting. ;-)
ReplyDeleteWe like real trees, too. We figure we can enjoy the plastic ones in the nursing home. We got so tempted last year to switch because of all the work, but even the really, really expensive ones can't compete with the beauty of a real tree. We took ours down early, and it's now providing shelter for birdies and such. (I don't want to think about the such.) In the spring it will be mulched for our acid-loving plants.
ReplyDeleteI have no doubt I could join that challenge. It just seems like I read so much more in the summer.
Pam
Thank you for the chuckle. The image of you crawling around behind your tree is just the tonic I needed this morning. :)
ReplyDelete