Monday, May 6, 2013

Paying Tribute

I have already recorded here that I avoid funerals as much as possible. (And I was gratified to see some of you nodding in agreement.)

However, I will at least put in an appearance at the visitation portion of one of the most beloved members of our church congregation.

Wally Jones served as a greeter for more years than I can recall, with a genuine grin and handshake  for everyone.  He always made me feel like I was special to him, and I'd guess everyone who knew him felt the same way.  What a wonderful gift!

Not only that, but he died last Wednesday at the age of 99, having been a serving member of our church for 83 years!  Can you imagine?  And it was said that he died as he dismounted from his exercise bike!

I am thinking that about now he is standing right inside the Pearly Gates shaking hands with folks as they enter and telling them Welcome, you are Home at last!

So, Dear Friend, this serves as my parting hug to you with a big I love you and a thanks for everything.  See you later.  Find my folks and give them my love, too.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet tribute ... I'm like you, I avoid funerals (and visitations if possible) like crazy. That's how I want to go, Lord willing ... 99, active to the end and then quickly go home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His son said his last words were, "I'm Okay!"

      Indeed he was!

      Delete

Backtalk is welcome here.