The header picture is taken from our balcony as the sun caught the building. It was such a treat to be able to sit out there in shirt sleeves early in the morning. How little it takes to please people from cold climates, especially in January!
I'm not a party girl----big surprise, but it is a nice feature to be able to get an ice cream cone or a cold soda anywhere on the property at any time without carrying cash with you all day.
One morning was spent on a big "sailboat" (equipped with sails, but it used the motor), out on the bay watching whales. We were in the area where the young are born during the winter so there's lots of whale spotting going on. We saw breeching and spouting and it was a thrill every time.
One whale picture looks pretty much like any other one, but we had a photographer aboard who (they said) photographs the whales tails and that scientists can identify the animals by the differences in the patterns on the tails.
Interesting, I'm sure. I'm always a skeptic and don't believe in the "every snowflake is different" claim either, but who am I to say?
We met some interesting people as well, and spent quite a lot of time with a couple from Chicago who originated in other countries. He was originally from Sicily, and she was from Argentina. They were funny and lively folks and enriched our stay with many interesting tales.
I was surprised at the number of young couples vacationing with small children. I'm happy that such affluence exists, I guess. Our children went everywhere with us because we couldn't afford a babysitter, much less the expense of a journey. Thinking back on it, I don't think we minded, either.
Being the exciting, fun-loving person that I am, I brought a Nook full of books, and two knitting projects to occupy my time when I wasn't basking in the sun (yuk), pounding down drinks, or dancing on the tables.
Oh, stop that silly laughing!
Our week came to a close, and we tried to pick clothes that would be suitable for landing in Chicago in a -30 degree windchill. When you know it's coming up, you can prepare---even if you look like a dork in the southern airport waiting area. Dork, who, me?
I love being back home again anyway, no matter what the temperature. Now to fight the ice build up on my eaves. Back to the battle.
Oh how wonderful that you had a vacation...Dancing on tables( I did laugh when I read that....I think it would be fun, maybe, if I could get up on a table...but the picture in my head made me laugh) Books on a Nook are far safer....
ReplyDeleteI did the warm place when I was young and landed in Chicago to go home to Skokie (where I lived at the time) all bundled up with my sack of fresh oranges from Fl. I do suspect that you were somewhere other than Fl. as evident from the picture of a whale....It must have been magnificent to see that large whale come up out of the water....
Love from NC
We were in Puerto Vallarta. So warm and pleasant and we just felt blessed every which way!
ReplyDeleteOh my, what I wouldn't give to be somewhere warm right now ... with the snow falling like crazy. Sounds like you had a wonderful time!
ReplyDeleteIndeed we did have a wonderful time. Good food, good friends, warm weather! I got totally thawed out.
ReplyDeleteI'm officially envious.
ReplyDeleteAnd the 'dork' look pretty much described me when we went to Hawaii many yrs ago and our luggage was late getting to the hotel..........hit the beach in tights, skirt, and sweater. Yep, dork.
Glad you were able to escape some of the cold. It's 5 degrees here right now but the sun's out, so tolerable. Welcome home, girl.
LOL. It's hard to look cool in Hawaii in Midwestern clothes. I know, too!
Delete