Thursday, February 13, 2014

Slogging Through

 February 12th was a noteworthy date!

Two enormous projects, which were picked precisely because of their extreme projected long duration, were completed yesterday.   Just a sec.  I'll get the pictures.



I resolved to read some more Dickens, for no other reason than that he's pretty entertaining----once I get used to reading the longest sentences ever written by English speaking writers.  I have all of Dickens' works on my Nook and I read on and on and on,  reading The Pickwick Papers.  At last I took the actual book out of the library because I couldn't tell if I was making any progress at all.  That worked better for me and I finished yesterday.  

The sock picture?  After all my Christmas sock knitting, I decided to make myself a challenging pair of socks from Nancy Bush's Folk Socks book.  I chose Country Socks which are knit of DK weight yarn (of washable wool) on size 2 needles.  For those of you who never knit, this means that for me, I need to knit about a dozen rows before I have an inch of knitted fabric.  I started right after Christmas and I finished them yesterday.  That's a long time for me.  

I did take a little time out and finish a baby sweater and make a little toddler cap for some diversion and to see something actually get completed. I'm not a fan of having multiple projects in the works at the same time since I don't like UFO's much.  But having something quick and something pokey going at the same time is okay with me.  

Also, for variety I have been piecing some quilt tops.  I resolved to send a box of quilts for the Bundles of Joy project once every three months.  Thanks to Saint Marcia, I sent a box in January and another box this week.  The only other box I have on hand is quite large, so I'll need to do some more sewing before that one gets sent.    I'd even show you the pictures if I could find the files.   (grumble, mumble.)

So today I have a fine sense of accomplishment.  By the end of the day I'll be occupied with new projects that will take an age and a day to finish.  sigh!  The need to strive!

Have a great holiday weekend.  President's Day, coming right up!


4 comments:

  1. Well, the weather has not been good here....We had snow yesterday and then freezing rain for a bit last evening then snow again...This morning it was fine freezing rain turned to snow and still snowing a little...UGH!!!
    Can't get down my curvy driveway down the hill.....So, I drink coffee and watch old episodes of Due South on an internet site that has hundreds of series from all years to watch....Keeps me busy...LOL
    Have a great time with your projects....Socks look great...
    Love from High Point

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm debating about making some more of the fancier socks in that book. Some have color work, some have lace, I'd learn something from each of them.

      Delete
  2. Way to go! One of sons just read Oliver Twist for school. I get pretty depressed just hearing him talk about it! LOVE the socks! Making my first pair of socks is on my goal list this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dickens is pretty funny when he talks about doctors, lawyers, and society's woes. Some things haven't changed as much as we'd like. The part about local politics was hilarious!

      Delete

Backtalk is welcome here.