Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Only Thing Wrong With Dogs

Well, if you've read about Marley, you know this isn't the ONLY thing with some dogs, but the rest of that statement is that they don't live long enough.

At the moment we have only cats, and Good Guy isn't really a dog lover, but this week we all lost a fine dog that we all were fond of. 

I was away this week visiting with family on the shores of Lake Superior.  We were all enjoying each other and the weather, when my sister's dog, Zoey, became sick.  She's been treated for some time for a liver condition, unspecified in nature.  But the vet said she was going into liver failure.  My sister had made him promise to tell her when it was time to let the dog go, and he pronounced it time.

So we talked with the kids and explained as best we could, and brought the dog back to the vet for euthanasia at the end of the day.  You never know when comfort and kindness will be necessary in the course of a day.

So here's a raised glass of iced tea to all the pets we've loved and lost.  And to all the joy they've given us. And to the pets of the future, too.

7 comments:

  1. oh,so sorry we were just talking about our dog, she is soon to be 12 and her hips are getting so bad. She can hardly get up anymore. I hate that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A raised glass. Yes indeed. and please pass the Kleenex.

    Kristin - The Goat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I've been renting for many years now, we haven't been able to have a dog which is really sad. I remember, though, when we did and had to put her to sleep. What a traumatic experience that was. My three sons and I were with her at the vets holding her as she was given the injection and, being an RN, I thought I was going to be all professional about it....oh, my goodness, I ended up blubbering like an idiot...it was my little ones that had to comfort me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is so sad. Our two labs are going on 9 years and I am fearing the time might come. Cried my eyes out the other night when we saw Marley and me again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - that's about the only thing wrong with dogs (in my humble opinion) - they don't live long enough! I am a hopeless dog lover and live with the most stubborn, spoiled little guy who was recently diagnosed with an enlarged heart. He's going to be 13 on November 1st, but I'm giving him meds and he still seems to be enjoying life. He's just a little guy (Pekingese) and hope and pray to have him around for another few years. He's my constant companion as I live alone and often don't really interact with anyone, except him - well, and my bloggie frinds ;-)

    Cheers to good dogs! (and they are all good!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not much of a dog person, but I am a real family person, so I always feel sad when we lose a pet. I also have to admit to crying when our buddy cat, Max, passed away. Mr.4444 and I were a mess!

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.