I do, I really really do.
Of course, in spite of starting out my married life in Chicago----not exactly "town designation", much of my life was lived in the country. Actually, I loved that too.
But in this town, the street sweeping machine comes by and cleans the streets, we have regular, reliable trash pick-up, in spring and fall they send around trucks to pick up large recycleables, they come and vacuum up our leaves if we rake them to the curb. There is a big lot where we can bring our own leaves and yard stuff like branches and prunings if we don't compost our own.
My particular reason for contentment today though is that our state representative sent me a form to apply for an absentee ballot which I did, and which has arrived quickly. I can get this because of my age, but I will need it because I'll be housebound on election day.
(All you snickering friends who laughed at my Dumpster Adventure will be thinking of me as I have a knee replacement at the end of October.)
A fact which leads me to praise the kindness of my neighbors. The neighbor to the south has kindly mowed our lawn for the past two weeks. He does clearing with his snow blower too, though I'm not quite ready to be thinking about that kindness just yet. My other neighbors are good folks too, especially Saint Bev. You can never outgive Bev. If you bring her a plate of pie, you go home with two cans of pickled beets.
All these facts conspire to make me feel very blessed to be living here. We don't have the sense of community that leads us to have a block party, but that could change. When I had a dog and we could both walk, I felt I knew more about the neighborhood than I do now. When you have a pooch or a toddler along with you, people will talk to you, I've noticed. Why is that, I wonder?
I am very fond of both dogs and toddlers, but can't keep up with either one of them at the moment. My daughter says I'll be frolicking like a fawn after I recover from knee surgery. I'd pay to watch that! And that made the rest of the family laugh out loud!
PS---in case you're keeping track, the Tree Project got shipped before the deadline. I had to go scrounging yesterday for old unfinished projects in The Backlog of Long-Forgotten Stuff.
Happy Sunday. I can enjoy the day, because my team doesn't play until Monday Night Football.
Ann I would love to live in a town like yours! Sound wonderful. I do live in a nice neighborhood but we all seem so 'busy' we don't really take the time to get to know each other. Still I could knock on some doors if I needed help and after only living her a year that is nice. Take care and hope the knee surgery goes well and you are frolicking like a fawn!!
ReplyDeleteI often wonder if I'd have more real life friends if I had a child or a dog. Instead I just have a husband and a cat :)
ReplyDeleteIt's good to know that you have some neighbors to keep an eye on you. I hope they know you'll be housebound and that "you can't out give Bev" will be able to assist you if need be.
Kristin - The Goat
I always see your comments on Kristin's blog and thought I should come by and "meet" you. Hope that knee replacement is a quick recovery.
ReplyDeleteHere in Detroit we get a nice neighbor or two once in a while! We have one that we've met just once, but he came over yesterday when he saw my husband working on his bow. He asked if my husband and our boys had a place to hunt and offered his own land. Of course, since this IS Metro Detroit, that sort of invitation makes us a little nervous :/ How goofy is that?
Be sure to snap a few photos of the changing leaves around your city.
ReplyDelete