Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Story Tellers Entry----week 2

This exceedingly handsome gentleman, Charles Olsen, was gone from the scene before my dear mother in law was even born.  He died out West, in Idaho, we've heard, leaving his widow stranded there, pregnant,  with at least six children.

She made her way back to the upper peninsula by train with her children, thinking she would seek refuge with her parents who lived about four miles from town.  According to the family lore, after arriving at the depot, they all walked to Grandma's parents' home. 

I don't know if there were cabs available, but even if there were, I can't imagine that she could have afforded one.  How tired would you be after a cross country train ride with children?  Pregnant and bereaved. 

I want to believe that the next part just couldn't be true.  But the family story is that when Dora arrived with her brood, she was not welcome there.  She was, in fact, turned away from her parents home.  It would make you proud to be a part of a family like that, huh?

I'd rather rewrite the ending, or just hope it was embellished over the years.  We'll leave it at that.

But here is handsome Charles Olsen.   There is a headstone with his name on it at the cemetary with the appropriate date inscribed, but I'm sure his body was buried in Idaho. 

He fathered a family of extremely good-looking, intelligent children and the woman he married was as resiliant as any woman I've ever heard about.  There will be a great many stories about her in the future.  Her grandsons, (Good Guy and Brotherbob) nicknamed her Trapper.  I have no idea if she ever heard that nickname, but it was always used with the utmost affection.

OK, let's hear your story of the week too.  And link up with Shannon at A Southern Belle With Northern Roots.  The more the merrier.

Happy Wednesday, reading stories!

4 comments:

  1. Oh goodness!!! I've heard of such things, but can you IMAGINE living through it?

    I can't even imagine having 6 children - - - my 4 nearly drove me to distraction - - - even WITHOUT the widow being turned away at the door part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I hope she wasn't really turned away, that is so heartbreaking. Life was so hard anyway. Gosh, we should count our blessings! Thanks Ann, love your story, it is humbling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some hard stories in family histories! Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charles Olsen looks like he had movie star good looks. How awful that he died an untimely death. Poor Dora. I can't imagine hauling myself to the U.P. and being turned away by family. It's heartbreaking.

    I'm excited to hear more stories! You have indeed sparked my interest.

    Kristin - The Goat

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.