I'm having trouble with picture posting, but I don't have a picture to go with this story anyway.
At this time of year, I love the smell of Lincoln Park in Chicago. Fall in the city reminds me of the greatest high I've ever had in all my life.
Early in October, on a Saturday morning at the end of my first pregnancy, we were living near the park and I could smell the leaves and the weather front as it moved in. After a time, I decided I was actually in labor and we drove the few blocks south to the hospital, just to check. And well before supper time, my daughter had been born.
I was ecstatic! I had a girl! She was early! It was so easy! It was all over already! Everything was fine!
I haven't had many days in my life when I felt so spared the pains and ordinary stuff of life, but the day my Lisa was born was one wonderful day. I was happy when the others were born, and they came with little trouble or fanfare, but by then I knew what to expect.
When you're a nurse and have seen people in difficulties, you always are preparing for the worst case scenario. I'm pretty sure I didn't sleep a wink that night, as happy as I was. I should have slept while I had the opportunity.
But the smell of Fall, can always remind me of the happiness of that special day. Happy Birthday, Lisa.
Shannon hosts this story sharing session. She can be found at http://asouthernbellewithnorthernroots.blogspot.com/
Birthday wishes to Lisa and I love fall and the smells that go along with it. My very favorite time of year. Have a great day Ann.
ReplyDeletemmm my son was born in fall too, actually tomorrow is his birthday. I love the sun and smell of the air, such a wonderful time. Glad that birth went easy...he didn't come so quick, both my children had labor then c-section, with my son the DR. felt sure I could do v-bac, yeah that didn't work. But he is here and I am thankful! thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteYou tell the best stories. I love your style! Happy Birthday to your daughter :)
ReplyDeleteKristin - The Goat
I have been woefully absent from my followed blogs for the past two weeks! A assure you I STILL love you. Too much subbing and weddingizing for me to have my usual blogging time.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to Lisa! I love the fall also, all the sights and smells and even the tastes! Nice story. Jean
ReplyDeleteOh how nice, you were fortunate, pregnancy and birth were awful for me and I only endured that once. I love the smells of the changing seasons too!
ReplyDeleteYesterday morning, Sept 29, I opened the back door and suddenly it smelled of autumn (Fall). Great!
ReplyDelete