Tuesday, February 8, 2011

In one word

Last summer I was part of a group that tried this experiment together. First, we tried to describe ourselves in just one word.

And after we spent some time visiting we took a break and tried to describe someone else in just one word. Fortunately, I drew someone I had prior knowledge of, so I had something to go on. She was "organized", and she wasn't that pleased about it.

I described myself as observant. I don't seek out crowds and when I'm there I don't say much. But I'm a heck of a listener. Part of that is trained, because nurses are supposed to observe and document.

But two of the compliments I treasure the most come from the one word description exercise. One friend called me honest, and one called me spiritual.

One of the guys who was part of our family life (my sisters and I) had to construct a little remembering exercise to keep the sisters straight. I'm the eldest----but I was designated the funny one, sister two was the pretty one, and the really young one was designated the smart one. The funniest part was that we each wanted to be another trait.

Needless to say, the poor guy got no end of teasing about that, and we still refer to it every time we can. He says now he never should have told us! Thirty years of teasing is about as much as any guy can take. He's going to designate us all as the Mean Ones.

Have a great Tuesday.
From the funny one.

3 comments:

  1. What great stories! I would love to take a few minutes and sort through some words to describe myself. I may do that in a little while - I'm finally able to come visit my friends and I've miss you :)

    My sister Hillary and I call the middle sister the perfect one (she got the beauty and the creative genes), Hillary is by far the funniest one and me...well, I'm not sure. I was the bossy one when we were growing up, that's for sure LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I meant to ask - why would the organized friend not like that word? Goodness, that's not a dirty word around here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Early in my blogging "career" another blogger dubbed me "Funny Lady." I LOVED it - - - both the funny AND the lady part.

    Has spring come to the UP already????? Pansies blooming in early February???? Or is that wishful thinking?

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.