Monday, June 20, 2011

Summer is Here!


Tomorrow it is officially summer, as I know you are aware! I'm also sure you're aware that all Spring has been a weather nightmare all over the country. Our own weather was cooler than usual except for a couple of real hot days. We were in need of rain, so the past few days have been rainy.

In so many ways, we have been extremely lucky compared to the rest of the country. No flooding, tornadoes, huge snowstorms, or wildfires. Yet. Even watching the Weather Channel is cause for gratitude.

Right now we are invoking still more blessings, so that we can enjoy good weather over the coming weekend for our three day family reunion. Some of our number will be camping in the State Park we'd really like fine weather. No bugs either, while we're praying.

So the preparations for that are afoot here this week. I spent the whole morning going through boxes of pictures to find things to bring. I found my pictures of my sons and daughters are pretty old. Not to say they are changing a lot at their age(s), but some of the hairlines are receding. They are still the handsomest guys, and the daughters still have all their hair so they are the prettiest girls. (No kidding, would I be prejudiced?)
Just a rundown on the Doctors Without Borders comment count for June. Comments through June 19th count up to 63. I should put it on the sidebar. We also got a nice thanks from Heifer, International. See the blurry image above. So thanks for your comments. I love to hear from you!

The votes for what sport needs the best all round athletes? We have a self-serving vote for triathletes, one for hockey, one for bikers, and two for tennis players. I have an idea that soccer players have to be pretty good in the stamina department. Basketball players have to have stamina and great hand/eye coordination, but they can come out of the game and sit on the bench. Gerard says that hockey players have to have stamina, great reflexes, they don't get to rest (except in the penalty box) plus they have to skate! And fight.

I'm reading a book of short stories by Annie Proulx called Fine Just the Way It Is. I started this afternoon and lapsed into a nice long nap. I loved her book The Shipping News and I enjoyed the movie, too. That doesn't happen to me very often, because I almost always enjoy the book a lot more than what they do to it in making a movie.

I'm out of news and time, but you can't comment if I never write, right? Have a wonderful beginning to your summer.











2 comments:

  1. Can't believe someone would think tennis involves the most athleticism! I think tennis is very easy--maybe because even I can do it! It's a small court and it's a lot of stop and go. No way does it involve more athleticism than a number of other sports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got a Thank You from HI :0)

    Since I don't do anything athletic, but only feel the pain after working fairly hard every so often - I'm thinking that weeding, picking strawberries, house/wall painting and hauling furniture are all very strenuous activities :)

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.