How does one choose a charity? Every cause I've ever given to sold my name and address---resulting in a deluge of begging letters, especially before the holidays.
This resulted not so much in soul-searching as in hair-tearing. Do I care more about mistreated animals than in prisoners children having Christmas? If I do, does that make me a shallow person? Are struggling people in Ghana more worthy than struggling people in Detroit? (You'll probably never know.) You get the picture.
Here's something funny. After my flurry of knitting, to provide my loved ones with warm stuff to wear, climate change has made wearing them unnecessary. Good thing I'm not superstitious, or I'd be taking the blame for "climate change". I expect I do my share in the carbon footprint department!
The ski hill people have to be worried this year. Even here where we have had some snowfall, we are having a whole week with highs in the 30's. It is nice for those of us who like to walk on clear roads, but tough if you're making snow for your ski runs.
The tree is down, and 90% of the Christmas gear is put away. I leave the snowmen around and the Christmas music is still heard. I love Christmas music. All the candles aren't burned out yet either. Little by little the January doldrums will settle in.
We are planning a trip to a warm place, so that can distract us with travel plans. I need to come up with some clothes to wear in warm places, too. Ugh---shopping!
Practical person that I am, I quickly discarded my pie in the sky idea of sending off snail mail every day. I'm finishing UFO's in my workroom every day, instead. I have a large quilt to finish by Valentine's Day. That should keep me working at it.
I think I have recovered from my holiday "don't care" attitude about weight control and wise eating. All cookies are gone, marshmallow fluff is gone, cocoa mix is gone, eggnog consumed, so I think we're back to veggies and fruits and not so much concentrated sweets. I hate that backslidden feeling of no motivation to eat right. Sugar rots my motivation, and I need to just abstain-----not try to moderate.
I think that's about all the Friday drivel I can gather up for today. I look forward to reading your contribution.
Oh no....another one who can knit!! I'm so envious of you....I can cast on, and that is as far as I have ever been. Some day, I may try again to master the skill, in the meantime I remain envious.
ReplyDeleteFRIDAY'S FRAGMENTS time two
Sugar rots my motivation too. I get so addicted during the holidays and it takes me until about February to become reasonable.
ReplyDeleteFLUFF? Oh, how I remember 'fluffernutter' sandwiches on white bread. sigh......
ReplyDeleteHow did the flap-over mittens work out? Were they a hit?
Snow is elusive here, too. We were up in the ski country today and boy is it DRY! These are BIG ski areas which draw thousands of people and the parking lots were empty as well as most of the ski runs (you could still see trees/rocks). Ok, I like it not so snowy, but fully understand that these people depend on the white stuff. And cold temps, because it was 40 degrees there today, too! No sweater and I even saw bike riders.
No global warming? Right. Just look outside!
We DID go to Target today, so I'm smiling.
Your Friday catch up was entertaining.......it's a great way for me to keep up with you!
I have been on a crocheting kick too... and I got two new winter coats on sale... and it was 55 today!! :-o Crazy!
ReplyDeleteI am thrilled with our mild winter so far and just think, only two months until spring!
ReplyDeleteI am NOT thrilled with the mild weather. SEND ON TRUE WINTER!!!
ReplyDeleteI have an idea about a charity that won't sell your info - - - and if they DO, I'll just WHOP my eldest child for you since she is the one who does that part of the ministry. E-mail if interested.
I've been sitting on the same UFO's for nearly a year! I just cannot seem to get moving, glad you've found motivation!
ReplyDeleteI wish I could knit. Learning is on my Bucket List. We've had a mild winter here, too and I love it. I'm saving money on the gas bill and my skin hasn't completely dried out like it normally does by January.
ReplyDeleteHope you're having a good weekend!
I have been eating tons of vegetables lately; it feels great to not feel guilty. Fell off the exercise wagon this week, but I hope to get back on tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the knitting! Kendall wore one of Mr.4444's sweaters from high school the other day (His grandma made it!)
Oooh! A warm place? nice....
Thanks for linking up . Sorry it's taken me so long to visit! Have a great weekend :)