Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Doh!!!

Good Guy and I have returned from spending the Memorial Day weekend on Mackinac Island at the Grand Hotel, which is truly grand in every way.

This beautiful place has a parlor floor, where the beautiful people have afternoon tea, and dress for dinner in proper jackets and ties, and real dresses---or even sometimes gowns.  It's a place where I try not to gawk at folks and try to pretend that I wear my dresses more often than I have occasion to.

Isn't it odd that as our country became more affluent, we became more and more casual?

Anyway, if ever there was a time to take pictures of scenery and horse drawn carriages, and flower gardens this was my big chance.  That's what the post title refers to----I did remember the camera, and I did take some pictures, but I had the camera set for "macro" shots.  So I can show you some fuzzy---shall we say, atmospheric shots, which don't do justice to any of the island's beauty.

Exhibit #1:
This is what the famous long front porch of the Grand Hotel looks like.  It has a great long row of white rocking chairs perfect for sitting and reading on a beautiful summer day.

Don't adjust your screen.  It won't get sharper.



Exhibit #2:

The lilacs are all in bloom, and are very beautiful.  You'll have to trust me on that.  There are lavender, white, and deep purple ones and they are growing on gnarly old lilac trees that must have been there since the original revolution.  They are amazing!



Exhibit #3:



There are no motorized vehicles allowed on the island---(at least not that the tourists are allowed to see), but there are a great many horse-drawn carriages, tour trailers, and delivery wagons. There are a great many bicycles as well.

There were two wedding parties staying at the Grand, and they had to be transported to the  churches in the wind and rain by these vehicles.  I didn't go downstairs to watch, but it must have been pretty challenging!

I apologize for my photographs, but take it from me, it is beautiful, even in the wind and rain.  We had a lovely time, and the food choices are so varied I could stay on my eating plan without any trouble.  As long as I didn't linger downtown smelling fudge cooking and watching the ice cream cone eaters.  There is temptation, but it can be overcome!

7 comments:

  1. Oh thank you for the pictures....Love hem and can almost smell the water, flowers, horses and am soaking in the fact that there is beauty all around on the island...Wish I could take a trip there before this life is over....
    Thanks...
    Love from NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you for the pictures....Love hem and can almost smell the water, flowers, horses and am soaking in the fact that there is beauty all around on the island...Wish I could take a trip there before this life is over....
    Thanks...
    Love from NC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun trip but glad we have become a casual society--I like casual! Too bad about your camera setting but hey, I still liked seeing your pictures--it gives me a better idea of the area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I like casual too, but I hate to be afraid of being underdressed. For instance, sometime I'd like to go to the opera, just for the experience----but "I don't have a thing to wear!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. That hotel is soooo iconic. I've never been, but I'd love to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is well worth the trip for the experience. We have been to the island a number of times, but we have only stayed at the Grand twice. It is a different world.

      Delete
  6. Seeing your pictures brings back memories of going to the island during the time Big Mac was being built. We camped on the UP shoreline in our ten dollar tent, roasted potatoes in a campfire with scouts from Detroit, and marveled at the beauty of the area. Being an only child, I had some misgivings about going to the pool on the island by myself. But ---- to this day, I am able to proudly state that I swam in the pool Esther Williams swam in on the island. Your pictures make my memories seem as though everything happened only yesterday!!!

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.