Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Grubby Old Me

I was up early this morning, thanks to the Fuzzies, who think we should all be up, dispensing treats as soon as it gets light.  Good Guy can ignore them, but they come and pat on my face or put a cold nose on my face.  Once I start laughing, I might as well get up.

I wish I could teach them to turn the coffee pot on.

Anyway, the top thing on my list was to scumble the soil in the garden.  It has been spaded and tilled, but it's a bit early to plant here.  In the meantime, every weed seed that's been dormant for fifty years is eager to germinate.  After all the work that's been done, I sure didn't want to have the plot weed infested again before planting.

I did finally get to it, after I started some bean soup---since I have to bring the main dish tomorrow when we lunch together at Quilting.  And then I made rye bread.  (I have trouble finding rye flour locally, and got some at a bulk food store in Eagle River last week.)  It's The Flour Sack  and I found both rye flour and graham flour.  I was excited because I have wonderful recipes for grainy breads and I haven't been able to find the ingredients.

My English teacher husband better not read this entry, because I have ended a great many sentences with prepositions.  But I will leave them as they are.

Did you watch the final episode of House last night?  I don't watch it very often since I find Dr. House so annoying, but there was a wonderful hour before the program where we got to see Hugh Laurie being himself and the rest of the cast too.  The final episode was so well done.  Just right.

I am often tempted to order some DVDs of British comedy in which Hugh Laurie shows his comedic talent.  I guess he showed his comedic talent on House, too, if you like dark humor.  (It isn't that I am repulsed by blood, or less appetizing bodily functions, since I spent my whole working life as a nurse.)  I just like characters who are more sympathetic, less self-involved, and less manipulative.  Call me goofy.

Tomorrow I'll share some good  reads and tell you about the other find from the Eagle River trip.

Leave a comment.  Pretty please!

7 comments:

  1. How do you keep the deer away from your garden? Our neighbors decided to grow tomatoes on the deck, and the deer walked right up the stairs to eat them. We've decided to try growing them on the deck this year. If they do steal them, it will be worth the picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have an eight foot fence around the garden, but even so, something ate off the tops of all our tomatoes last year. The only tomatoes we got were from our "volunteers"--of which we had quite a few.

      Delete
  2. My garden was being decimated by a groundhog, so I bought an agricultural electric fence charger and wired up my garden fence. The charger was rated to power a quarter-mile of fencing, and my garden perimeter was all of 80 feet. Just to see how hot that sucker was, I grabbed Wise Guy's voltage detector from his tool bag. I could stand 3 feet away from the fence and it could still detect all that juice! Groundhog problem = solved.

    As for weed problems...I've had great success this year with "lasagna gardening". I've put cardboard in between the rows and covered it with mulch (leaf litter, straw, whatever I can find). I've had to do some hand-weeding in between plants, but no hoeing or tilling. The soil moisture is far better under the cardboard too...we're parched down here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yow! Your fence charger sounds like a winner. GG bought tomato and pepper plants yesterday, so I guess the fun begins. The lasagna solution sounds excellent! We could utilize some of our mountains of newsprint, and hold 'em down with golf tees.

      Delete
  3. I assure you that the bean soup was Delicious and the companionship was outstanding! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second the companionship, but I know it's impossible to bring a dish you ladies won't compliment---no mater how awful it may be.

      Delete
  4. I never could like "House" either.

    I made a pot of bean soup last week, FH liked it so well he ate 4 bowls in one sitting and then paid dearly for several days after with the "gift that keeps on giving."

    HA! Maybe next time he won't eat four bowls at once.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.