Saturday, June 9, 2012

A Brush With John Law

Well, here's something curious!

In my mail two days ago, I got a communication from the 36th district court of the City of Detroit.  They were notifying me that I had committed a parking violation on May 18, 2004!

My payment of $70.00 is expected forthwith, or I shall have to forfeit my driving privileges.

Not only did I no longer have the vehicle bearing the license plate they mentioned, I had a journal entry placing me squarely at home on that date.

I called the number they provided which, (after making my way through the phone option maze) informed me that I would have to "provide documentation" that I had disabled that registration plate.

Right----documentation-------after eight years!

I am thinking there's a statute of limitations on parking tickets.  If there is one for felonies, I'm thinking by the time we get to court on this, I will be too old to drive anyway.  What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. ...all I can say is...this is unbelievable!!! Well, not really since just a couple of weeks ago the state of Texas sent me a citation that I did not pay the toll on a toll road clear up near Austin. I wasn't even there!!!! So I called the number provided and they went and checked the video and whoever wrote down the plate number reversed a couple and saw that the car that was supposed to be MINE was in all actuality an SUV. Go figure. Technology sometimes SUX.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm feeling HIGHLY FRUSTRATED inside FOR you. Did you even LIVE in Detroit back then?

    How efficient is the "ticket department" in Detroit anyway???? I'll answer that myself - - - NOT VERY.

    Hmmmm, I wonder if it would help you get "progress" if you told them you were going to turn all this information over to your lawyer and let HIM handle it.

    Never mind if you don't HAVE a lawyer - - - -

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a hassle, hope you can get it straightened out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGracious! That's almost funny! I say fight it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are the chances that the state has REISSUED that plate number in the past 8 years, and have not updated their records?

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.