Come on over here and join up with the happy band that gathers their bit together and links up with Mrs. 4444 at Half Past Kissin' Time.
Before you head on over there, wait a minute to see if I came up with any scraps worth reading.
1. Good Guy is a devotee of the Farmer's Market, and he was tickled to read that Green Bay's excellent FM was open on Friday when he was passing through. He came home with bags of green onions, radishes, the teeniest potatoes, and strawberries. We scarcely could fit them into the refrigerator. He was looking forward to eating sugar snap peas, too, but didn't want to buy them at the first place he saw them---so forgot about buying them altogether.
2. We celebrated his birthday at a restaurant that takes the percentage equaling your age off your bill. (Just for the birthday celebrant.) We had two daughters and a son join us for our meal, and a jolly time was had by all. The food was delicious and the company was excellent.
3. The park at the end of my street used to have a skateboard court for the kids. I don't know why it isn't there anymore, and I'm ashamed to report that I have no idea how long it's been gone. My neighbor thinks there were city liability issues that decided its fate. I kind of miss the kids, though.
4. Our weather has turned cooler for a couple of days. In fact, we had frost advisories for Wednesday night. We were OK here, but my friends were happy they had covered the tomatoes. We are well pleased with our garden so far with tomato and pepper plants looking hardy, and seeds germinating nicely. It is very satisfying for me to be staying way ahead of the weeds---so far.
5. I've read two short juvenile fiction books this week, both of which deal with Scandinavian countries, WW2, and the sheltering of Jewish children or families. I enjoyed them both, and they were followed by Unbroken which I was reading for book club. It inspired a lot of discussion and gave me some insight into why some WW2 veterans never got over their wartime feelings toward the enemies they fought against.
I was appalled at the numbers of our airmen who lost their lives because of the unreliability of the planes they were flying! It is mind-boggling!
6. We are entering a season of doctor appointments, not because of illness, but just general maintenance. Cats are due for exams/shots, I'm due for eye exams and possible glasses changes, the dentist is requesting my presence soon, and I can hear the sound of the cash register abroad in the land. Don't send me any requests for bail or even a beer. Maybe after summer is over.
7. Speaking of money, I loaned my copy of 29 Gifts to my pal, Lucy. She loves the book, and brought me two yards of fabric for my WORDS quilt. I guess I will have to loan the book to all my friends.
I am not really that mercenary---or that poor. I'll gladly spring for a cool beverage for you! But for bail, you're on your own!
Leave us some fragments, and read and comment on the others. They're a hoot.
What's the name of the two juvenile books? I always enjoy your recommendations.
ReplyDeleteThe books are A Faraway Island by Annika Thor, and Number the Stars by Lois Lawry.
DeleteWhat's the name of the two juvenile books? I always enjoy your recommendations.
ReplyDeleteNever heard of '29 Gifts' but will have to look it up. Thanks for the recommendations, I am always looking for new reads. Happy Weekend!
ReplyDeleteSome quilting news: the gals in the quilt ministry at our church made a farewell gift for our pastor, who is being reassigned after 10 years with us. They took the quilt around to several older ladies from the congregation who live in care facilities and no longer can attend church. Several of them were able to put in a few stitches...all told, a couple dozen people worked on the quilt. It was so beautiful and really meant a lot to Pastor and his wife.
ReplyDeleteThat is really nice! If memory serves me--always a tricky business these days----our church women did one years ago as a fund-raiser for Bible Camp and our pastor got the quilt. What a nice memory maker, for the participants and the pastor.
DeleteFor the bail -your on your own..LOL that is funny. Love farmers markets. my Tree Man (husband) gardens and he gave out to the kids the first few snap peas..sweet!!! yumm!
ReplyDeleteMy peas have germinated, and are growing nicely along the net fence, except for the ones that the chipmunk has nipped off. Little squirt!
DeleteHey, girl. Seems like YOUR summer is moving along nicely, too. And the Farmers Market opens in our little town this weekend!
ReplyDeleteDave bought me a greenhouse that will be put together after the fence is done, so next year, I can have my own Farmers Market! Tired of paying $10 for 'maters around here!
Last night I attempted to leave comments on several blogs (including yours) and wasn't able to, but was happy this morning to see that whatever was wrong is fixed.
Glad to see you and Happy Birthday to GoodGuy! Love that he got a birthday discount! Clever.
Hugs my friend,
J
I also love farmers markets. The food does taste better when picked recently. I too would never spring for bail...
ReplyDeleteGG says this market in Green Bay is just wonderful. He was in Hog Heaven----except for forgetting the peas. (sad face.)
DeleteFROST! in June. Mercy.
ReplyDeleteOh, yeah. Frost in June. Love that growing season in the UP.
DeleteWhat restaurant takes off your age percentage on your birthday? I'm all about finding that one!
ReplyDeleteThe T&T Steakhouse in Aurora Wisconsin. (wink, wink, Wisconsin, right???}
DeleteGreen Bay's Wednesday Farmers Market has turned into more of a Festival, with all of the same vendors, but with all kinds of food/meal vendors, too, plus activities for kids, beer for the adults, etc. Whenever I go, I run into all kinds of people I know. In fact, I'm going there this week with two friends from high school, just to catch up. Should be fun.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your garden goodness. Our raised beds lie empty, sadly.
Good luck with all the doctor visits. I see the same in my future, as we are getting not one but TWO puppies this month. What in the world am I thinking?!
Take care. Thanks for linking up!