Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Big Dig

This isn't going to be about the snow storm, fun as it is to discuss.

Rather this has to do with an encounter I heard about from a quilting friend.  It has bugged me ever since, and since blog subjects are scarce I will share it with you.

If you're a regular here, you know that I spend a lot of time on my quilting passion.  Or at least reading about my quilting passion.  It's hard to accomplish much if you hate to cut anything up----but I digress.

Anyway, this friend was shopping for fabric in a popular country-wide fabric and craft chain store, and was standing in line to have her purchase measured and cut, chatting with another customer.

"What will you be using your fabric for?"

"Well, I'm just filling in some color gaps.  I've used my greens and need some more."

Puzzled look.  "Hmmm?"

Explains, "I make quilts and need a lot of colors."

"Do you have a quilting machine?"

"No."

"Well, you aren't a real quilter, then, are you...."

A quilting machine makes you a real quilter?  It's good that she wasn't talking to me, or she'd have been in the hospital.  Apparently she doesn't realize that not that long ago, a machine quilted quilt wouldn't even have been allowed in a quilt show.

I am a big fan of machine quilting and the people who do own machines and quilt for others!  God bless them all.  But I surely do love coming across a lovely hand-quilted quilt!  

And I hope that someone enlightens that ignorant person who dared to say such a thing to my friend, a Real Quilter to her very core.

Whew!  I feel better now.

4 comments:

  1. This blogger thing did it again...Lost my rant about that woman in line telling your friend that hand quilters aren't quilters...UGH...
    Anyway, I have a hand quilted unfinished quilt above my ofc desk in my
    sunroom...It is beautiful and over 50 years old...An old woman who had made the top gave it to my grandmother when she lived in Laurium and in turn Grams gave it to me over 40 yrs. ago... The hand stitching is still in tact and i bet in over 50 yrs of a machine quilt, the stitching wouldn't be in tact...and I would have told that woman ....Bet you're glad I hadn't been in that line?...I don't have a politically correct bone in me...LOL
    I think that Crystal looks beautiful with the snow falling. There is a house with the stone church right on the main drag that is for sale together for under 49,000. Wish I had the money to grab it and turn church into coffee shop with crafts for sale in it...Ok, dream over now.
    Love from NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know! That little church has been for sale forever. It would make a sweet little coffee/craft shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an extremely smart written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your useful information. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.