Thursday, December 23, 2010

Ready Enough

We have not been stressing here about Christmas "preparations".  I have been baking things and wrapping things, and watching for boxes to arrive, but we are not stressed. 

Today the writer of the first blog I started reading reflected on the reason why she'd had "enough".  No matter how much you give, wrap, or do, none of that stuff can tell the people you love how much you love them.  Even if you write them a wonderful letter, that won't do it either.  I am going to try to be present, not preoccupied, while I interact with my people this holiday season. My youngest son sent me a birthday card that said, This isn't just a birthday card, it's an I love you card.  I will be sure that they all know how welcome they are and how I enjoy them being here.

Yes, they love the food, (I hope) and they are happy if their favorites are around while they are home celebrating, but people remember how you made them feel while they were with you.  It is more important to be having a good time together than that everything be perfect.  Nobody in my relationship is accustomed to perfection anyway,  I'm pretty sure.  (I certainly didn't raise my clan that way.)

Christmas will come whether we stress about it or not. Honest. 

If this is the season of peace and good will, I'll do my best to make it true under our own roof, for myself and those I love.  I pray it's true for you, too.

4 comments:

  1. FH and I have never had such a stress free Christmas as this one. No one is coming and we aren't going to them - - - that greatly simplified things. I sent $$$ instead of shopping for "things." Well, of course I did do that one little afternoon of shoppign for the grans when we were down in IN at the beginning of the month.

    I don't have to cook Christmas dinner, we've been invited around the corner to our friends' home. I'm bringing Welch's Bubbly - - - otherwise I don't have to do anything.

    FH decided we should have a little sea food feast for supper Christmas evening - - - so we picked up some shrimp and crab legs at the grocery store today. The shrimp will be eaten cold and I'll just steam the crab legs and melt some butter.

    While we will miss being with our kids and grans - - - I am NOT missing the stress.

    Tomorrow while FH is working, I am going to go to the nursing home with a team from our church, then to the Christmas Eve service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you were not stressed - I hope that now the holidays have passed that you are still stress free :) Merry Christmas to you - days later lol

    We have had a really nice time - I thought there were going to be some stressful moments, but it honestly has never materialized. We've had a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're absolutely right. With all of the technology in our lives, it's important to be present :)

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.