This morning I got something cool in my e-mail from Knitting Daily though that cracked me up. On Saville Row in London, where tailor made suits reside, they cordoned off the street and put down sod, and brought in sheep. The object being to promote the wearing of wool.
You can see the original and even a video, here. Scroll down to "Sheep in the Street, the campaign for wool."
Sheep in the Street Campaign for Wool
In October 11, sheep could be found grazing Savile Row, the street in central London synonymous with fine men's tailoring. Cars were removed to make space, turf was laid, and fences and a barn were built overnight in anticipation of the early morning arrival of the sheep. The organizers hoped to bring as much attention to the wool itself as the products made from it.
The sheep kicked off Wool Week (October 11-17) in the United Kingdom, which aimed to highlight the natural advantages of wool. Over ninety apparel and interior retailers, representing four hundred stores, took part. Wool Week offered the public the opportunity to interact with wool and sheep with events from Meet the Sheep (highlighting different breeds) and sheep parades to in-store events and specially organized knitting workshops.
This cracked me up, since I've become such a yarn snob. I vastly prefer wearing wool---and since it is -10 degrees here at the moment. (That's outdoors. Inside it's a toasty 68 degrees.) I plan to wear as much wool as possible when I leave this house.
Annie, were there pictures on this post? 'Cause I'm not seeing them.
ReplyDeleteI often wonder if sheep think that wool is scratchy?
ReplyDeleteInteresting story. I sometimes go to the Abbey Road web cam to watch people walk across the zebra strips usually stopping traffic. This usually leads to some idea for a blog. Check out http://www.abbeyroad.com/visit/ (web cam and sound)
ReplyDelete