Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Fragments

I often try to link up with Mrs. 4444's dumping ground for odds and ends which are nagging for attention, yet not enough to merit their own post. Sometimes I don't get linked, but I'm feeling good about my luck today. LOL

When I walked around the block yesterday afternoon, I counted nine robins. They might have been the same three, following me around the block, but I doubt it. They are a welcome sight.

Finally we have only die hard snowbanks left of our snows. Being where we are, though, we rarely dare to say it's over. Not in April, anyway.

The deer have cropped off the grassy bits of my early spring flowers. I guess that must be a treat after a long winter of cadging my sunflower seeds. Just call my garden the Deer Salad Bar.

GoodGuy picked up pasties from our favorite local supplier and we had them for our supper last night. They are up to $5 apiece, but so delicious. (For those who may have escaped without knowing about pasties----pronounced pass-tees--- they are potatoes, beef, onion wrapped in a pie crust like wrapper and baked.) They were brought to us by Cornish mine workers and they are ubiquitous in the UP. Quality varies a lot, but our favorites have flank steak for the meat and include rutabagas in the vegetables. They are from Jean Kay's pasty shop.
I'm sorry to say this, but in my opinion baseball is no substitute for football or March madness. Obviously, March madness can't go on forever, but I do surely miss it when it's over! Reason enough to get outdoors and do something.

Have a great weekend! Spring has reached even us. Praise be!



8 comments:

  1. Is it sad that when you gave the pronunciation of "pasties" I immediately thought of Harry Potter and his Pumpkin Pasties that always sound so good? Yours sound pretty good, too.

    Hope your thaw comes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had pasties when we had a summer vacation through the UP in 2008. The only thing that is better is white fish and beer in Ipsheming at Bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite a few robins you've seen. I saw two yesterday! I know they're around at least! Chirp, chirp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had a pasty in goodness knows how long! That sounds great with a Deer Salad Bar lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my opinion baseball isn't a good substitute for ANYTHING.

    Bring on football season - - - -

    I've NEVER had a pasty and am dying to try one. Mayhaps I need to make a pilgrimage to the UP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy...pasties...Thanks for the crust recipe, Ann. I may go to the pasty shop and check it out. Maybe even order some from them.
    I will definitely look you up if I get up North this summer....would love to see the UP again.
    Love from Sandy in NC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here in the deep south (as opposed to Up North), I've seen cranes, herons, robins, red wing black birds, pelicans, but not killdeer - and little in the way of plants. Today I noticed that the lilacs have buds, though. And tomorrow is supposed to be in the high 70s!? Woo Hoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy Spring is here too! I am in California where we pretty much have 2 seasons, hot and cold! HAHAH

    The robins sound wonderful!

    Visiting from FF's!

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.