I was so sure that I had decided that comment money would be "Going for the Goat", through the auspices of Heifer, International. But today I got a communication from them regarding a new program they are doing to help people who are struggling here in the States.
They are calling this project, Seeds of Change, and it focuses on two impoverished areas, Appalachia and the Arkansas Delta. Both of these areas are blessed with fertile soil and strong agricultural traditions, but small scale farmers are finding it hard to make a living.
The project aims to boost nutrition and economies by creating jobs and improving access to healthy, locally produced food---especially for low income families, as well as improving the environment by supporting responsible agricultural practices.
For any number of reasons this project is dear to my heart and I'm not waiting to accumulate comments, but I'm going to send some funds right away, while people can get planting and growing during this growing season.
Depending upon our individual histories, or our reading, or our hobbies, different good deeds seem like the very thing we need to do. And for me, this project is very compelling. Keep on commenting and we'll send more at the end of June. It may not equal a goat, but it'll be welcome by Heifer International.
I hope you're having a wonderful weekend!
What, help here in the States? YIPPEE!!!! We used to live in WV...Now, WV is a wealthy state, but some of the places are really poor...And KY. is really bad off in some areas....Appalachia...Yep...not sure about ARK.
ReplyDeleteSo I can comment a bit for you each post...
Thanks...for helping there...
Love from NC
We traveled through West Virginia a few times - a couple of times on the back roads. While the state is blessed with natural beauty there were parts where people struggle to make a living. You certainly don't have to go far in any of the US to find people in need of help.
ReplyDeleteSad, but so true. Our church serves a community meal on Monday nights and they get quite a crowd. Some people who are in need financially, and some folks who are lonely. It serves a purpose, at any rate.
DeleteExactly how is this help going to work? (Just out of curiosity.)
ReplyDeleteThe way I understand the brochure the program will help provide seeds and materials for the farming and gardening program, and help with the know how to sell to people looking for local harvest foods and to help provide vegetables for the poorer folks.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds that way to me. Heifer Intl. is good about providing support and education along with the initial gift.