Monday, December 3, 2012

Delightful December

That title should cover things---on the off chance that I don't get back here until the calendar has turned. I am assuming that we will all get up and carry on as usual on December 22, and the world won't be ending because the Mayans ran out of room on their calendar deal.

It's my birthday month, which doesn't bear thinking about when I think of what number that will flip to, but as my dad used to say, "Consider the alternative".

We have ten family birthdays this month, most of which I won't attend, yet the calendar is full of notations for them all.  I share my birthday with my first cousin, Beth, and my daughter-in-law, Robin. And Frank Sinatra.  He doesn't come around too much anymore, though.

We have, at this stage of our lives, distilled our Christmas preparations and celebrations to the things we love best and enjoy the most.  I am an expert at politely declining more jobs taking on tasks I'm not that interested in.  (The Up Side of getting older.)

I don't do cookies until the last minute before company comes, because I can't leave them alone.  Usually I have a daughter-in-law bring sweets.  She's a wonderful baker and will take the cookies home with her---a big help to me.  (Should there be any left over cookies.)

So, I wish you peace and joy during the preparations of this month.  We celebrate Christmas, loudly and proudly----but whatever your celebrations this month I wish you joy.

9 comments:

  1. I agree on the upside of getting older. I've found that cutting back on Christmas celebrations, etc. is a good way to really enjoy the Christmas season. If our calendars are too full, we're so busy and stressed that we cannot enjoy this season. ;-)

    We don't need cookies either, but DD and I have a tradition to spend a day baking cookies, and now that the grands are getting older, they're being included on the fun. Thankfully we do this at DD's, and I take just a few home with me for DH and me. The rest can stay at DD's. ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cookie baking idea is an excellent plan. My sister suggested we make ginger snaps together. I can take home just a few "tasters".

      Delete
  2. I wonder if those Mayans realized all those centuries ago that they'd be throwing some of us into fits of fear come December 2012?

    Can't say that I personally have lost a moment's peace over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, myself, think the whole Mayan thing was an evil plot by the people who make generators and bottled water. I'm not so easily swayed.........

    Ah, December birthdays. I shared mine with Andy Williams until he died. And with Ozzy Osborne....which gives me chills.

    Happy December to you and yours. Celebrate with gusto (sans cookies) and know I count YOU as a blessing.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the Mayans had generator and bottled water franchises. That explains a lot!

    Happy birthday to you as well. But Ozzy Osborne? Well, I guess he had to be born sometime.

    Thanks for the blessing. Both old and new friends are so precious, especially as our very old friends drop off the end of the conveyor belt. We were talking this week about the loss of the dear older people we knew who taught us by example how to be decent, caring people. I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday this month Ann!

    From what I hear the whole Mayan thing is an end to one cycle and a beginning of another as they believed. Its not the end of the world. We are planning to do much post 12/21 so those Mayans better downplay the whole calender thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas, Dave! I have stuff on the calendar for after the solstice as well. I figure if the Mayans couldn't keep their civilization perking along, I won't put much stock in their calendar either.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. If we were in Salem in a different time, I'd be burned or drowned as a witch. This cat is my familiar. (Her name is Sweetie, and she was rescued from our alley during the dead of winter, the skinniest cat I've ever seen.)

      Delete

Backtalk is welcome here.