Monday, December 31, 2012

Prepare to Face the New Year!

I don't make resolutions any more.  Fifty years of failure have taught me something.  (At last.)

I do ponder the year that is ending, however, and consider what was worthwhile, what was learned, and what things are worth carrying forward into the new year.

Gretchen Rubin, who wrote The Happiness Project and Happier at Home reminds me that the basis of a rich and contented life is the friendships and the relationship you have with those who are closest to you.  So I feel very blessed to have made some new friends and to have kept in touch with other (not brand new friends), and to have gotten to hug some old friends.  I'm happy that Good Guy appears to be quite contented here as well.

Somewhere else I read the idea of choosing a word to give you guidance in the next year.  Just one word----and you don't have to choose hastily.  I'm working on it.

Yesterday, we got a sermon to carry us forward into the new year, based on a child's evaluation of the Christmas Eve service.   He yelled at the end,  "Hooray, hooray!  Jesus is born!  Let's get busy!"

Our pastor thinks that's a fine motto for his congregation for the next year of service.  Our church serves a Christmas Dinner for the community both at church and delivering meals to people.  This year we (they----I only baked a cake)  served over 700 meals.  I can't remember the exact number, because I was so gobsmacked when he said the 700 part.

So I wish you peace and joy as you consider the year that's ending.  And I wish you happy anticipation as you look forward to the upcoming year.  There is much to do.  Let's get busy with a big happy grin on our faces.

6 comments:

  1. Have a Blessed New Year Ann....
    I am thankful for each day the Lord
    gives me...His mercies are new each
    morning...
    Love reading your great posts...and
    will continue to in 2013...
    LOVE from NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. I wish God's great blessings on you, as well!

      Delete
  2. My motto for 2013 is "love all, serve all."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that motto for 2013! Let's get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very informative post for me as I am always looking for new content that can help me and my knowledge grow better.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.