Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wednesday---Story Tellers #3


Hi everybody. 

Time again for Wednesday and story telling hosted by shannon at http://asouthernbellewithnorthernroots.blogspot.com/, and it's a fine time we have here, too.   Join us and read all the interesting stuff the others have come up with.

I would like to introduce you to my father-in-law, Steve.  This was the gentlest, softest-hearted man you could ever meet, here pictured with his lovely wife.

When Good Guy and his siblings had all left the nest and/or completed their formal education, she returned to college, living in Marquette during the week, and returning home late on Friday night.  Steve worked on the road himself and would return on Friday.  He often headed to visit my father, who was housebound and in a wheelchair as a result of multiple sclerosis.

They had a strong friendship, because Steve never treated my father as disabled.  He was always Just a Guy to Steve, and Dad appreciated that courtesy.  He'd spend Sunday afternoons at our house, too. And in those days a "can't miss show" was Lassie.  It never failed.  When Lassie had performed her act of heroism for the week, Steve would be wiping his eyes and blowing his nose.  If we'd glance and him and smile, he'd say "I guess my dog allergies are kicking up."

When I discovered that my stepson had never read, "Where the Red Fern Grows", I bought it for him and told him it was a family test.  He wasn't adopted if he bawled when he read that book.  He passed with flying colors. 

Nobody could tell a funny story like Steve could either.  Good Guy is a good joke teller, but not as funny as Steve was.  I'm grateful for my many happy memories of him.  He never knew that Good Guy and I ended up together, since he was already gone by that time, but I'd like to think that he was happy for us.


6 comments:

  1. What a great story. Made me tear up a bit - guess I'm part of the family :) It sounds like he was a great guy. It's really too bad that you didn't get to know him as his daughter in law, but how wonderful that you knew him as a family friend growing up.

    Kristin - The Goat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love his comment on the dog allergies...priceless! How sweet a story and a blessing you knew him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful story! How neat that you met him as a friend. My brother is handicapped so I totally understand about being 'just a guy'! Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story. I am going to have to remember story telling Wednesday because I am just filled up with stories.
    Thank you for stopping by today and for you so very kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautiful tribute to your father-in-law. I love the story about Lassie. (I may be a relative, since I cried after each episode too-and oh, how I cried when I read Red Fern!) I also love that he made your dad feel like a regular guy. that says so much about his attitude in life. I enjoyed reading your post. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice story, I'm glad you participated. Gotta love it when men tear up and blame their allergies!

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.