Monday, April 25, 2011

The Background "Music" of my Life

While I was working the other day, I barely noticed the sound of the baseball game GoodGuy was watching on TV. But later I got to thinking.

When I was a little girl, we would try to change the station from the baseball game while my dad was dozing on the couch. His eyes would pop open and he'd say, "I'm listening to that!"

On Saturday nights, I could hear the Gillette jingles playing before the boxing matches started. He was one of the most peaceful men I know, yet he really got into listening to "the fights".

Of course, all football season we watched all the games we could. There was a time when they didn't play every night of the week, and we couldn't always see our teams. When I was a young bride we spent a time in beautiful Virginia. We could never hear a Big Ten game or a central division pro football game. It was a period of excruciating deprivation!

While my kids were growing up every month there wasn't snow on the ground I could hear, "Thump, thump, thump,................thump, thump, thump" of a basketball outside the kitchen window. Both my girls played basketball at school, and the boys played at home for fun with their dad.

Once they got into school, we got to see girls' basketball, boy's football, plus one wrestler, two track runners, and meals at all times of the evening during all the sporting seasons.

GoodGuy was a golf coach when he was teaching, so now I have learned to appreciate golf, and he's a baseball, football, track, and tennis fan. The team doesn't seem to matter---the play's the thing. So I tolerate baseball, love football, endure track, and enjoy tennis.

I can't imagine what life would be like without television and the ability to watch sporting events! And we don't even follow pro basketball, or hockey, or Nascar! I never realized what a big part sports have played in my life, even though I'm not an athlete, don't own a cheesehead or face paint, or have a season ticket to anything.

If you're a fan, you know just what I mean. If you aren't a fan, I think I can hear you yawning. (Leave a comment anyway.)

5 comments:

  1. I enjoy the opportunity to see/hear it all on TV. I also enjoy the opportunity to play on my laptop, instead, when Mr.4444 is watching other boring stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We both like watching sports too. I like football, baseball, tennis, golf and basketball. Gerard loves hockey best--says there's nothing as exciting as sudden death in hockey. Sometimes I'll watch the end of the games with him. He even reads athlete's biographies and some history of sports books! We both like playing tennis together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad used to sleep on the couch watching golf. He said it was just so peaceful. He also used to watch Tiger baseball on TV and have the radio on to listen to Ernie Harwell give the play by plays. I loved that.

    I know what you mean about being a part of sports but not playing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way - I really love the John Deere tractor photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fisherhubby STILL opens his eyes and says, "Hey, I was watching that!" when he's been SNORING on the couch so I change the channel!

    I think you know where I stand on the issue of to be or not to be a sports fan - - -

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.