Sunday, April 3, 2011

Media Muddle

My middle son was a Music Lover of the first order, and it would drive me bananas when I'd go into his room and find he had both the radio and a cassette player on at the same time.

I had to laugh at that as I looked around at our little two person family. Our XM radio was playing while GoodGuy watched the golf channel (muted) with "sub titles" running. On the other end of the room I'm downloading albums from eMusic, and adding that music to my MP3 player. Now as I'm writing this post, I'm listening to that music on headphones.

Our family is all about music---though GoodGuy and I don't perform music, we are great appreciators and consumers. Both of our mothers were singers and his sister has a beautiful soprano voice and plays keyboard instruments. Both of my sisters are great harmonizers, in the sections supporting the melody. Among us we have some guitar players, horn players, singers and band members among the kids and grandkids. My aunts and uncles sang in barbershop quartets and other groups, and one of my aunts was a wonderful pianist and accompanist.

I was astonished to learn that there are people who don't even hear music when it's playing in a store or business. I feel sad for them, because loving music has been a huge pleasure in my life.

Keep smiling, and hum yourself a great tune.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post to bless my day! I developed an appreciation for music in spite of the odds against me. As a child I was punished if I sang and in sixth grade, when accepted for the Glee Club, I was forbidden to join. It has not diminished my appreciation for music and I rely on it to get me through times of sorrow, trial or fear. I often hum or quietly sing the hymns of my church to calm my soul. I would be lost, seriously lost, if it were not for music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't listen to a lot of music on my own - I hear it in TV commercials, movies, on Facebook when people link to music, etc. I just got out of the habit I think. I think it's wonderful how much music you have had in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed...music is a part of my life, too. I had "music appreciation" in grade school, sang in choir and glee club and whatever else it was called in both high school and college. And I'm in my church choir now. It doesn't matter how good I am, it's how much I enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.