Sunday, July 10, 2011

Ten Thousand Lakes

Greetings from Minnesota, land of shut down state services and political grumpiness.

Don't go away friends. I'm not pursuing that line of thought. Instead in the 92 degree heat, I am feeling blessed with the invention and the presence of air conditioning. And I feel blessed with peace and happiness in spite of---or maybe because of the memorial service for Earl this afternoon.

Yesterday as we traveled through beautiful green Wisconsin, admiring the cornfields, the cattle, and the picturesque old barns and log cabins I felt so blessed. I was able to make this trip with someone else driving so well, and so willingly. I could afford to go, having both the time and the money. I was so looking forward to seeing my cousins, who weren't able to make it to the reunion, and I was able to be a part of the service (having been asked to read scripture.)

The chapel was standing room only today, filled with friends he had worked with, friends from their condo association, daughters and grandchildren, and stepchildren, etc. etc. It was a wonderful tribute to a life well lived, and a wonderful loving man.

The minister who conducted the service was excellent, and people left the sanctuary with a smile on their faces instead of wiping away tears. Faith makes an enormous difference in times like this.

(We passed within a hair breadth of Hayward, by the way.) To whom it may concern.....

7 comments:

  1. We saw on the news about the Minnesota park shutdowns. Now THAT is sad. Who's minding the store up there?

    Sounds like the services for Earl went nicely and that your ride up was filled with so much beauty.

    Hugs my friend,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning! Your reflections are inspiring....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, YES -- I too am SO grateful for air conditioning. Thank you for putting that into words for me!

    A memorial service that ends with smiles and remembrances is surely a very good one, a celebration of a life.

    And land of grumpiness? Are you sure you haven't stumbled into New Jersey!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  4. The countryside you described sounds very picturesque! What a comfort it is at funerals when the people knew and know the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am glad your family had such a positive experience with Earl's memorial service. faith is a huge blessing and very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funerals are so very interesting as they give us a space to grieve and to reconnect with family and friends in such a tender way. Some of my very favorite reunions have been at a funeral. So glad you could go and witness the beauty of the land you drove through :)

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.