Sunday, August 7, 2011

Another Great Read

I have just finished re-reading The Help for my book club. We have talked about reading it for many months, but were waiting for the paperbacks to be published. Being on the list at the library seemed to take longer than anyone's patience could endure.

What drove us to reading this together now was the fact that a movie will soon be released and we want to have a chance to discuss it before seeing the film.

I am very conscious of being a life-long Yankee, a stranger in another culture, when I read a book set in the South, especially when it concerns race relations.

My only experience was six months in Virginia in the early 60's. ( Hardly long enough to qualify as an observer in that length of time. ) Especially after coming from a part of the country with so little diversity, as I mentioned the other day.

But, I have lived among other people for a very long time indeed. I have observed some people with a sense of entitlement and superiority for no particular reason that I could discern. So I have no trouble at all with believing that a fair cross section of employers and maid's experiences are represented.

So I have to join the legions of others who enjoyed and heartily recommend this book. I liked the characters, except for the rascally villians, and I enjoyed the various plot lines and the mysteries that were part of the story.

Now, I ardently hope they made a wonderful movie from the book!





4 comments:

  1. I've been hesitant to read this book and I have to say it's because I'm sure my Mother would want me to LOL However, since you have suggested it more than once, I really should give it a go. I've been so very happy with the Happiness Project and several other books you've mentioned. I don't think you'd steer me wrong now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both my husband and I liked this book! Glad you enjoyed it too. We look forward to seeing the movie as well. I saw a short promo for it and it looked like it will be good.

    Here's a link to our review of it if interested:
    http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2010/07/help-by-kathryn-stockett.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read The Help when it first came out. Before there was any buzz about it. And I just loved it. Now my book club is reading it and they are heading to the movies to watch it. I gave the baby a bottle of my milk for the first time last night so I can ensure my attendance!!! I never miss book club! Even if it's a movie meeting. Do you have any other books you can recommend? I'm the "reader" in the group and it seems like everyone always looks to me for recommendations. I'm getting stumped. I feel like I've read them all. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book and read it when it first came out also. My daughter has it now and I would love to re-read it before seeing the movie. It was a very thought provoking book and well written!!

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.