Monday, August 8, 2011

Our Book Club Choices

Since I can't find an e-mail address for Leanne of Arrow Acres and since she inquired about things our book club has read, this is sort of narrow in scope.

We have read these books, (and I have to admit that not everybody was equally enthralled with them.)

An MC Beaton mystery featuring Agatha Raisin. (It was a quick read but she's an unpleasant character. I've read a couple of Beaton's other mysteries, too with a different crime solver. The Scottishness of them is pleasant, but the stories are goofy.)

The No#1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. (We all enjoyed that one.)

Fool's Puzzle by Earlene Fowler (There's a whole series of these with Quilt names.) I like the characters.

Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain inspired more laughter and discussion than anything else we've read.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was one I enjoyed way more than any of the others. I'm a Swede so I liked all the place names and description. Too violent for some, too.

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. Quirky and fun.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. We all loved this book!

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. An all time fave of mine recommended to me by my son. He knew I'd love it.

Saint Maybe by Ann Somebody----I forget. (Depressing.)
Dreamer of the Day by Mary Doria Russell. (I love this author. This isn't my favorite book by her, but all her books are worth reading, in my estimation.)

I've typed more here twice and lost it both times. Somebody's trying to tell me something.....

To be continued:




5 comments:

  1. I don't like the Agatha Raisin character either. I read a couple of her books and just decided not for me. I'm not familiar with many that you listed but will check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I love a good book...so your list is right up my alley.

    The ones that intrigue me all have fun titles: Saint Maybe, Peace Like a River, and The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. Off to see if I can get them at the library.

    A few of the others, I have read and enjoyed, too.

    How's things in the UP? Hope it's cooling down a bit for you!

    Hugs
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Huckleberry Finn too, read it a long time ago. Interesting that prompted the most discussion, a book written such a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ann! Here's my email address: leanne@arrowacresfarm.com
    Loved this post. Thanks for answering my question! The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was one of my all time favorite books. I hugged it when I was done! So I'll have to check out your other books that you've read. I'll have to try Peace like a River.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That potato peel book was one I had in my hot little hands one day and put it back down. I thought that with a name like that it HAD to be a great book, but I talked myself out of it by saying that they had to give it a great name because the book wasn't LOL

    I am so grateful that you wrote down the list, several times, because I have been wanting to read several of these titles but hadn't yet.

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.