Friday, August 5, 2011

Another Opportunity

So many of you have commented on the comments for charity, that I assume that many of you who pop in from time to time as kindhearted, generous folk.

I'm sure that this organization has been doing good work for a very long time, and I feel as though I'm the last person on Earth to hear about them, but just in case, here's the scoop.

There's a way to lend money to small enterprises in third world countries; small amounts of money which don't make that much difference to us, but can make a world of difference to others. Our contributions are pooled and loaned to people who can't get conventional loans.

When/if the $25 is repaid to us, we can collect it from Kiva or we can choose to re-lend the money to another borrower in need. (They have just had a promotion in which new folks could get acquainted, risk-free, by lending $25 that was supplied by some other benefactor. Don't ask. I don't know) I signed in today to read about the program, joined the Michiganders team, and left some money, too. That promo money has all been used up, by the way.

It's worth spending some time there just to read about the teams that have formed. There are about 16,000 teams from schools, states, countries, philosophies, and some of them are laugh out loud crazy. I almost joined Cheeseheads for Change, or Nurses, or Women Helping Women. There are so many possibilities!

Anyway, in the spirit of public service, and as my kind deed of the day, I'm just giving you a heads up. My blogging friends who have been doing this for quite a while are discouraged that more people haven't joined up. I just consider us planting the seed of information.

As for me, sometimes I think about these things for quite a while before I make a move. But if you are curious at all, you how much fun surfing the internet can be. Check them out at Kiva.

We are learning that only so much can be done by our governments at any level. Much of the help in the world is going to have to be done by the good people of every persuasion, who care about other people.

4 comments:

  1. I like Kiva.org - I love the way they run their organization and the best thing is that the money helps put people in business for themselves. Love it!

    You are such a giver! I enjoy hearing about the organizations you are discovering during your internet travels. Thanks for sharing the good stuff with us!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you find such great charitable organizations to support! This one sounds like a very helpful one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you joined up and are passing the word along. I didn't realize the funds have been used up now--that's good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This appears to be a great program. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.