Thursday, August 25, 2011

Friday Fragments

Friday is the day that we gather together, bow our heads, and shake out all the bits and pieces that are needing expression. Mrs. 4444, at Halfpastkissin time is the hostess (or joker in charge) depending upon how well you know her blog.

Link up and join the fun.

This has been a week of observing random acts of kindness, and the the groups I know who foster this behavior.

One of the website I never really sign out of is one called HelpOthers.org. I've probably mentioned them before at some point, because it's a good collection of stories of good ideas people have had and observed for spreading kindness in the world. You never know how much a kind word will mean to someone.

Some of the ladies I meet with on Wednesday mornings have been sewing tote bags---really beautiful tote bags----which will be for sale at a fund-raising tea which happens annually to benefit a local nunnery. Another is making favors for a women's district meeting of her Lutheran synod.

Tonight at church I talked with the knitters around me who contribute their time and talent to make prayer shawls. Two of them have been instrumental in spreading the word to many communities and churches. Many people who have suffered illness or bereavement have been comforted by the gift of a prayer shawl. Many pray-ers have been blessed by connecting with families and many have been touched by the thought that others would devote so much time and care to make something that will comfort them.

There are still many knitting 8" squares to ship to South Africa to make warm covers for the orphan population there. There have been thousands given away, but the need continues.

American citizens who don't have any family members deployed, are writing letters to strangers in the service and sending boxes of much appreciated, hard to get items.

Mrs. 4444 serves as the advisor to a group of Difference Makers in the school in which she teaches. These kids are full of ideas and enthusiasm.

It is obvious that governments here and abroad can NOT solve the problems of the population, and the citizenry will have to mobilize themselves. Our governments can not afford to be compassionate, but there is much we can do that doesn't even involve cash. Just caring and redistributing our extra stuff to where it can be put to better use. (I'm preaching to myself here, too, folks.)

This isn't quite fragmented enough, but it's certainly long enough. Have a great weekend!

10 comments:

  1. Ah Ha! I posted one frag about helping others on my FF post just now too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your helping fragments. We can never hear enough about helping someone else, and not just worrying about our own selves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It warms your heart to see such generosity, doesn't it? What a lovely and caring group of women.

    I have TONS of yarn that I'd be happy to knit or crochet 8" squares. Let me know how I can help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I am not doing well financially and even I can help others. I always have things to donate. I also work with KIVA.org and help finance micro loans. Every time the money gets paid back, I lend it to someone else. My tiny investment has been able to help a few people grow their business.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you said about our govt not affording to help, but ordinary citizens can. I totally agree!!! Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Givers naturally gravitate toward givers. A group of givers can move mountains! I'm so happy to know you and watch you help move mountains.

    One of my transplant friends just told me today that she was given a prayer shawl when she left for Jacksonville. It meant a lot to her, she said. She said she swore it gave her strength when she didn't think she had any.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Knitting I see can help lots of people. Sounds like your knitting group is a very worthwhile endeavor.

    Unknown Mama makes a good point--I like helping others through KIVA too for just $25.

    We donated some of our used furniture and plates we never use to Friends International. It's a group that helps foreign college students out who come to the US to study.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting that link, I'm definitely going to check out Help Others. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my New Year's goals this year was to practice daily acts of random kindness. It really was a challenge at first and now it is so natural. I am however having a bit of difficulty making it through a whole week without a negative comment or thought. What a challenge. I am on my 4th week of trying...
    When my husband was in the VA hospital in December with pneumonia he was given a prayer shawl. He cherishes it still.
    Have a great weekend Ann...Your photo's are just lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello. Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Thanks also for the link to HelpOthers.org - I'd never heard of this before but I think I'm going to like it! I'm realising more and more how much joy I get out of doing things for others and making them smile and laugh so I'm keen to check out all those lovely ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.