Thursday, December 1, 2011

Eureka! It's winter!


I'm sure this isn't a revelation to most of you, but our inches of sticky snow this morning made me think of changing scenes in a play.

December 1 ---- scene loaded with snow. Actually it was perfect snowman snow. And if I had my druthers I'd have found my boots and mitts and gone right out and whomped up a snowman.

Instead I updated all the kids and sibs on Good Guy's recovery status. (He's doing okay.) And then I finished knitting projects, and went to Weight Watchers to discover that I lost more than two pounds over the Thanksgiving holiday. I consider that a major victory!

I also spent a little time shoveling. It didn't take much effort, but I thought I'd give the porches and steps a head start, since some melting was evident by noon.

I can't tell you much about Good Guy's experience--nor can he, since he was under anesthesia, but I was very impressed with the convenience and comfort provided for families by Bellin hospital in Green Bay. The waiting rooms are spacious and comfortable, and beepers are supplied so we can wander and return to the outpatient surgery when summoned.

An unexpected treat was a visit from Mrs. 4444 which broke up the afternoon with a pleasant visit and many chuckles. Wasn't that thoughtful and kind of her?

My son and his family came through for me, by feeding me some supper, and entertaining me in the evening, and providing transportation so I could just leave my car in the parking lot. I didn't fancy getting lost. As my daughter-in-law says, "I can get lost in a shoe box!"

We got to go home on Wednesday before the snow began. I feel blessed, to not have to drive two hours in snow.

So that's about all that's happening here. I'm wondering what I should do in place of Christmas baking. Baking isn't that friendly to weight loss. I love sweets and do better when I can be an Abstainer, rather than a Moderator. (Gretchen Rubin says there are two kinds of people---some of whom can do moderate amounts of "whatever" and others who have to give it up cold turkey.)

I can make granola to send to my son who requested it last year. I can bake dog biscuits, because everybody has dogs I have to give presents to. After that? I guess I could bake presents and send them off. I'll keep you posted.

Excuse me while I eat an apple.






3 comments:

  1. That was really nice of Mrs 4444 to stop in to see you! Glad all is well with Good Guy and you didn't have to drive in the snow. Our snow is holding off well so far. None to speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horray.....Good Guy is home and well. I have wondered and am glad you posted his success.
    And YOUR success at NOT having to drive around town and getting lost. Good thinkin' on leaving the car in the lot! I'd hate to see your face in the papers as 'lost woman'!!!
    It IS difficult NOT to bake during the holidays but I finally had to do it a few years ago. I (we) have NO will power when it comes to cookies and pie. I DID find a great oatmeal raisin cookie recipe that's pretty much no fat, no cholesterol that we like. They are small and fill that void.
    Welcome snow.......how nice to see you sitting so pretty on the trees and grasses. I'm with you. A snowman was in order!
    Warm hugs my friend,
    jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy that the surgery went well, even if it did run long. Mrs. 4444 came to see you :) That's so great! I have to be an abstainer. I really have a hard time eating just a nibble.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.