Monday, December 5, 2011

Right on Schedule!


Having set a deadline for mailing out my Christmas cards kept me on task and except for a couple that require special letters or pictures or something, they are all ready to be mailed on December 6th as planned.

A great many of the presents are on hand and wrapped already. A couple of them are still not assembled, which in Annie-talk means that I have the knitting needles and the pattern, but I still have to find the yarn! That is Really Not Assembled!

Glenna of Knitting to Stay Sane has offered a wonderful glove/ mitten combo for people who have smart phones, or who have to get their fingers free to text. It has the thumb and partial finger gloves, plus a flip over mitten, and a little hatch to get your thumb loose, too. I have never knit anything like this before, but as my Pop used to say, "You won't learn any younger!"

The college bowl games are becoming a bit clearer after the past weekend. The mighty Badgers of Wisconsin managed to outlast Michigan State in the first Big Ten championship game. So they'll play, once again, in the Rose Bowl game. The one I'm torn about is that Michigan will play Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl (at least that's what Good Guy said. He might just be yanking my chain----but that isn't his style). He attended Michigan, my daughter is at Virginia Tech. Who do I root for?

I got my granddaughter's hat, mittens, and scarf finished. For years everything had to be pink or magenta, but she's taken a fancy to teal.

Do you think this will do? I'm hoping the color will turn out something like the way it looks in daylight. I had a lovely all teal cabled cap done for her and it just wasn't warm or tight enough. So I ripped it out and made a simpler, more useful cap.

Good Guy is mending quickly after his hospitalization last Tuesday. Today he went out to grocery shop and he went to the library to read the newspapers from all over the place. He thinks not feeling up to snuff is pretty boring, and he seems to be doing fine. Thanks to all of you who expressed concern about him.

Well, I have time to scan through a book again before our book group meets on Wednesday afternoon. I read the book once, but kept getting the characters mixed up. Maybe a little refresher will help me. We wanted something simple and heartwarming for December, and settled on Friendship Cake by Lynne Hinton. It filled the bill admirably.

In spite of having my cards ready to mail, I feel like everyone else is rushing the season. Perhaps that's because we don't get a tree until after the family birthday clump of the 11-14th. We still get a cut tree if there is still one to be found by mid December, but with all the lights and decorations in our neighborhood, I'm wondering. I have an advent wreath and some Swedish decorations up, and that's enough for us. The Fuzzies look forward to having greens up to rearrange. That means a lot of sweeping for someone else.

Happy Tuesday! Savor the season.


4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear Good Guy is only slightly grumpy about his convalescence. We'll keep praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the grandaughters gifts.....that hat is way tooooo cute, too. I like hats that don't choke off the circulation on my head, personally.
    Glad Good Guy is back to himself!
    My Christmas cards are supposed to arrive via Amazon today so I will be addressing them later.
    It was -7 last night. A 2 quilt sleep for me! I guess I'll put away the shorts now............

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first started to use those convertible mittens when snowshoeing! It's so nice to not have to take off gloves while tightening/undoing the bindings.

    I have two book recommendations for you: The Hunger Games, and Still Alice. Neither is light and gay, but both will grip you.

    Auntie Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear Good Guy is mending quickly but as to which team to cheer for, I'd say definitely your daughter's team since she is currently attending there.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.