Saturday, December 3, 2011

Life Rules, again

If you come here often you know that I am a big fan of Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Project.

Of all the thought-provoking and helpful things I've learned from her is this rule: It's so simple and obvious that it shouldn't be a big revelation to me. Yet it has been so helpful.

The rule is Identify The Problem. I used it yesterday morning when I started to write my Christmas cards. Other years I can't keep my materials together. Pen, stamps, return address labels, cards, Christmas letters from the printer, lap desk, (yadda-yadda-yadda.)

So this year I gathered everything together in on box (pretty simple solution, no?) and stashed it in the room where I'll do this task along with my address book. I have a deadline on my Christmas stuff calendar, so I have to keep at it to keep up.

Beth Ann had an excellent post about Advent this morning. It is all about hope and expectation, and I will hold that positive thought in this season of preparation. (If I were a good person, who wasn't in a hurry, I'd have a link to Beth Ann Chiles blog. Maybe later I can come back and do right by her.) Try this.

I am getting a rare opportunity to cook, while GG recovers and the good smell of beef stew and fresh bread are in the air. I had to bake potato bread in the bread maker this afternoon because I had a failure the last time I tried. I have had so many successful loaves in a row, I was drunk with power. I couldn't fail. What do the Proverbs say about pride? So I was humble in success when I got a beautiful loaf out of my efforts today.

I hope you are having a lovely weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Take one day at a time and put your things in order. You will be surprised how much faster you can get things done. Just do not start too many projects at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like doing Christmas cards, but if I don't have an address right when I'm doing them, the chances are real great that person will never get the card lol

    I'm so happy you got a good loaf today (three days ago)

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.