I mentioned last Friday on Friday Fragments that my sister was returning after many months away during the winter. She spent the weekend here in town visiting with us and with my "very much younger sister" and her husband.
We all enjoyed being together, and one of the things we did we to view a slide show of photographs which the youngest one put together for her daughter, who is an only child. My niece had told her mom that she had hardly any memories of her childhood. Together we wondered, "How could that be?"
We came to the conclusion that one of the services performed by our siblings is to keep reminding us of old happenings. I suspect some of them are things we'd just as soon forget, when I listen to my kids talk to one another.
Even though my own sisters and I are far apart in age we do have some memories in common, and it seems we each knew our parents in a slightly different way. I was almost five years old when Jane was born, and I was just starting high school when Karen was born. It was many years before we had anything much to talk about and we are much closer now than when our kids were growing up.
I am the oldest child of an oldest son in my father's family, which now makes me the "matriarch", by default. I find that both amusing and daunting. It isn't as though I have any duties, but I surely do miss the older generation. I don't relish this position, but it's inevitable if you have long life.
It is interesting to reflect upon what effect your place in the birth order of your family has had on the other decisions you've made about living your life, though. Oldest children are likely to pick careers in which they are nurturers, and I was a nurse, a mom, and we adopted children in addition to our homemade kids.
Oldest children are also known to be quite bossy. That, of course, is total foolishness! Bossy? Me?
Huh!
They also say oldest children can be a teeeeensy bit achievement-oriented. Would you guess that I'm the oldest, as was my father, his mother, her father, and his mother? And I'm the oldest that far back on another branch too! I didn't stand a chance.
ReplyDeleteI guess the Dudley overachievers made up for all the slackers like me.
DeleteYipes! I, too, find myself as the matriarch (Carlsen side) of my family. Fortunately, I am usually forgetting my designation. Yes, I too, miss the older generations --- love, wisdom and laughter.
ReplyDeleteFirst borns are also generally leaders and perfectionists.
ReplyDeleteI am definitely not a perfectionist! But I am often a (reluctant) leader.
DeleteI am the oldest of two(both girls)...My dad was youngest of two, having a sister and my mom was the youngest of two, having a brother....I am now the matriarch....I ave four living and 4 that were lost before born...5 grands...
ReplyDeleteIf I don't organize it it probably won' get done...I am married to #5 of 9....See the interesting scope of things?
Just my two cents worth!!
Love from NC
Wow, that gets complicated, doesn't it? My dad was the second child of seven, but he was the oldest son.
DeleteMy eldest is a daughter who didn't get enough time to be a little kid, since her brother was there by the time she was 14 month old. She's steady, sensible, hard-working, responsible. First born, through and through!
I was the youngest...the 'baby'. Right.
ReplyDeleteMy daughter, being the oldest child, was the BOSSY one and still holds the title. I bow to her (and you).
I know you are wearing your new Matriarch Title proudly, Ann. I bow to you, too.
You can hit me now.
Smack!
DeleteMom was #7 of 9, Dad was #9 of 13. I am #1 of only two, and I'm pretty sure I "ain't" bossy neither!
ReplyDeleteSo don't call me bossy again!
Do you hear me????
Hehehehehe
Keepie, you aren't bossy. You're Just Right!
Delete