What is it that makes some people first in line to do the latest thing? You know what I mean; they're the ones who stand in line to see the movie when it does the first showing at midnight, or they stand in line to buy a book. Or a new gadget.
Now I'm too old to care about being fashionable. I have seen so many foolish fads come and go that I couldn't even count them. My friends also look through the "fashion" pages and remark with a head shake, "What are they thinking? That is just ugly."
But in addition to that, I couldn't go on Jeopardy anymore! I don't know enough about present day pop culture to contribute anything to that category! Do I know the stars of TV shows that I don't watch regularly? (For that matter, so I know the names of the actors who portray the characters in shows I DO watch regularly?!) I doubt it!
I was looking at the list of top TV shows yesterday in the TV Guide. Since we long ago decided not to watch "reality" shows, I was familiar with exactly 3 of the top 15. Sporting events are our reality fare. In this season, that means baseball, golf, and the occasional tennis match.
All of this to admit to you that for all the available media and static around me, I have chosen (apparently) to be woefully out of touch. And basically I don't mind at all.
Except when I'm watching Jeopardy.
I'm right there with ya! Not only do we NOT watch reality shows, we downright HATE some of them.
ReplyDeleteFH would wait in line for a new Harry Potter book and baby son HAS taken a cooler, lawn chair, and costume peraphrenalia to sit in line for a first showing of a "cult" movie. He even made the paper back in Marion once doing it!
Maybe I should mention that when baby son and his friends waited in line with chairs and coolers for SOME of their favorite movies - - - there was really no NEED to wait in line for they were the ONLY ONES THERE.
ReplyDeleteThose kids - - - they just had a lark doing it.
I am out of touch with pop culture too, except for a couple reality shows: The Biggest Loser, Survivor and Undercover Boss. My mom used to watch Jeopardy every day but it just made me feel stupid--there were so few categories I was any good at. I do have a home version of the game from the 60s though--maybe you would like to play that since it doesn't have any of today's pop culture in it.
ReplyDeleteI've been known to pre-order books, but that's about it. Occasionally when I'm on the treadmill at the fitness center I've been subjected to an episode of the Kardashians. I can feel myself losing IQ points as I run.
ReplyDelete